Welcoming a new member to our rescue flock...

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
Sophia! She is a delaware hen, 5 months old and a sweetie! She came to us because her previous owner (who had 200 chickens picking on sophie!) noticed her back was twisted and caused her to walk sideways. She was being mounted by the rooster and her last owner had given us Lil Lucy and knew we rescued animals. :) Her left wing is higher then her right wing when she is standing still. She walks weird and sorta limps like Gloria.

As for the pecking order, Nellie and Lucy are being brats and pecking her alot.... and we are trying our hardest not to interfere to much (there's no blood yet). Gloria is fine with her and gave her a few stink eyes, a few pecks on the feathers and gave her a growl to let her know she is the queen of everything! Penny of course, loves everyone, so Sophie adores her.

Just wanted to give a shout out on the latest member of our rescue flock... Animals Come First rescue, where you don't know what you'll find!
big_smile.png

On the drive home...
'
As you can sorta see, she is bent towards one side and is holding her left foot up.

She has a pretty good stink eye and as you can see, is letting everyone know she ain't happy about being pecked on!

Nellie in the process of pecking her.... poor sophie.

She's very pretty. Hopefully Gloria will go easy on her
smile.png
also congrats on making the workday chicken picture of the day. That is your picture right?

Gloria shows her who's boss in a kind way, not jumping on her or pulling out feathers... just a light peck. (thank goodness!)
Yes, it is mine! I was so excited when I saw it on facebook today... :D

I LOVE the expression "stink eye". I'd like to use it myself. I have a few photos of just that look !

She's a handsome gal for sure! She probably has a twisted pelvis from a previous trauma. So long as she can pass an egg she should do fine. Good thing she has Gloria to defend her. Keep an eye on those other gals-once they know a fellow chicken has a weakness they may try to cull her. I think she's very pretty!

You will get some wonderful eggs from this gal! I have a Delaware rescue myself, If you'd call it that. They would have processed the older hens in October, and I bought her in September. Therefore I pretty much saved her from a slaughter! Mine is 2 years old. She has no front toenails. Weird.. Oh and my girl lays the darkest of all my eggs, and is very reliable! She is going to be Gloria's BFF, I just know it!!
_MG_4515.jpg
My Denny says hello! She is head hen. Never has to tell anyone who's boss, they just know ;)

You will get some wonderful eggs from this gal! I have a Delaware rescue myself, If you'd call it that. They would have processed the older hens in October, and I bought her in September. Therefore I pretty much saved her from a slaughter! Mine is 2 years old. She has no front toenails. Weird.. Oh and my girl lays the darkest of all my eggs, and is very reliable!
She is going to be Gloria's BFF, I just know it!!
_MG_4515.jpg

My Denny says hello! She is head hen. Never has to tell anyone who's boss, they just know
wink.png

Aww, your girl is so cute! OMG, yes! I can totally tell Gloria already likes her! They were sitting together today and "chatting"....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom