Well I had a visiter last night!!

SteveBaz

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Pacific North West
The girls were locked up in the brooder tight as if nothing was going on but all the wires and joining wired were stretched to the max. Where the 2 pieces of chicken wire was held together with ziplok ties was stretched in between each and everyone this morning. Black hair and all was there. Prints all over the ground showing multiple attackers. I poop pile of well I dont know but assuming a raccoon and family. I just bought wire on a spool and just rewired the entire coop and wire sections joining another wired section with the wire and sewed it shut. No more zipties for me I do not trust it when it comes to the girls. Not every 10 inches but all along the entire length now so it can not be pried open. Just a warning for me and my kids. I have lost my girls 1 time but it will not happen again that is for sure
fl.gif
fl.gif
if it cas be helped.

Last edited:
just so you know, a raccoon can actually tear chicken wire, and they will pull babies through it, piece by piece. =/ chicken wire is more for keeping chickens in, not keeping predators out. sounds like they were lucky that the wire and zipties held this time, thankfully. but you might wanna think about something stronger than chicken wire for the future. be careful, too - the coons will probably come back since they were foiled this time. good luck
smile.png

Well they are going to be surprised at my new addition. I am going to invest in the Electric Company I think!! 8" and 12" wires should do the job!! treat them like the curds they are!!!

They do stay in a wooden brooder box at night in addition to the chicken wired coop just for the record. The brooder box is solid so as for them getting to the girls that would be another story. They run in the coop and on the side of the house in the day but at night they are locked up in a wooden protection brooder box.

now you have me worried.when we decided to take the plunge on getting a few hens.my husband did not want to spend a lot of money on building a chicken house and run.so he only put chicken wire on the small run that he built.
we was told that a coon could chew through chicken wire.he than put up two strands of electric wire around the hen house and run.we have only three hens and he has gotten so attached to them.he has since built a 10x10 welded wire run on the back side of the hens house.and added a roof on another run so they can still be out side in bad weather and stay dry.i will pass on the info.about the coons and chicken wire.so that will be taken care of for sure.

Back
Top Bottom