Well today I started the release.....

Chickiemom25

Crowing
12 Years
May 13, 2011
North Alabama
I feel like a mother with her first kid going away to college.... Out of the 6 keets I started with, I have 5 remaining... they are about 9 weeks now and the size of my 5 month leghorn hens. I grabbed 2 this morning and turned them loose outside the wire dog run they have been in for the last 10 days or so. I have a 1X4 about 5 feet up in the run and hanging out either side so they can roost there or on top the dog run, although that is the same altitude that the muscovies roost on another 2X4 that connects the chicken coop run to the dog run. There are also Apple trees and oak trees in the immediate area. I am building a hoop coop they can sleep in in the future with the ducks.

One guinea ran one direction and the other ran the opposite till it encountered a barred rock rooster who didn't seem to like it. So the guinea flew up onto the 1X4. I sure hope they are still around when I get home. I know there are a ton of mosquitoes and frogs to eat in the area as the mosquitoes are eating me alive. they have a few watering bowls in the back yard and a pond in the front, plus the side pasture cant be mowed because it is still flooded so water and food shouldn't be a problem. Fingers crossed!

Update: the 2 birds were perched next to their buddies last night at sundown
IMG_4320.JPG

How's it going today? Have they all come back? Ours are currently 4 weeks, but I can tell they are itching to get out from their coop and start foraging... but I don't want them to all disappear!

How's it going today? Have they all come back? Ours are currently 4 weeks, but I can tell they are itching to get out from their coop and start foraging... but I don't want them to all disappear!
I have released a third so now I have 3 loose and 2 confined. The free rangers are a shade larger than the confined birds now. I’ll give it to the weekend and hope for the best. I hate to leave one confined so I guess I will release the last 2 together

I have released a third so now I have 3 loose and 2 confined. The free rangers are a shade larger than the confined birds now. I’ll give it to the weekend and hope for the best. I hate to leave one confined so I guess I will release the last 2 together

Cool! How do you get only a few out at a time? mine all run together, so I'm sort of thinking they might all run out at the same time... I also have 21 of them, so there's that.

Back
Top Bottom