Well water?

LynninTN

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
I live on well water (still no access to city water where I live, which is fine with me). I have a filter system for the house, but not for my outdoor tap. I’ve been filling the water containers from inside ( I’ve had the chick for almost 4 weeks now).

The outside tap water has a lot of iron in it (the water will come out cloudy to almost a deep orange at times). I live in TN so it’s just the iron I’m concerned about, I don’t have sulphur deposits.

I don’t want to keep lugging water back and forth as the outside spigot is just a few feet from my coop.

How will the extra iron effect the chicks and eventually the eggs?

The problem with high iron content in well water is that bacteria loves to bind to the iron and it cause them to multiply. Baby chicks are especially vulnerable to exposure to this bacteria.

To be sure what you are dealing with, how high the iron is and whether it's supporting a bacteria load is to have your country health laboratory test it. Your health department can give you more information how to go about this. Cost is usually very nominal.

Meanwhile, it would be best to filter the water you give your chick.

The outside tap water has a lot of iron in it (the water will come out cloudy to almost a deep orange at times). I live in TN so it’s just the iron I’m concerned about, I don’t have sulphur deposits.

That sounds like an insane amount of iron to me. Where do you live at?

How often do you change the filter?

I live in Crossville TN, a very rural part on the plateau. We had the well drilled to 300 ft (it was 200 before) last summer. The filters get changed every 1 to 2 weeks depending on usage. The water in the house is fine, although we need to replace the water heater and pipes eventually because the previous owner did not take care of things. We do plan on getting a better filtration system too.

It truly is a lot of iron!

I’m sorry I meant to say every 2 to 3 weeks. My husband and I are truck drivers. I’ve been staying home the last month and so on to get a farm started. I replaced the filter last weekend.

It seemed like once a week because our schedule was so crazy.

Now mind you that’s was just with me staying home with the dog and the chickens and my husband home on the weekends. Oh, and my cats that were with my daughter, but are home now.

Back
Top Bottom