Welsh Harlequin

If you want to be sure or just learn how to vent sex, it's really not that hard.  I watched a video by Metzers.  Then when I mistakenly got a 5th duckling with my delivery a couple of weeks ago, I could tell it was female.

I did not know they had a video. Only that they say males have dark bill and females have light with dark tip. Was not sure about the middle one with a strip running down bill. I will go back to Metzer and look for video.
Thank you for info. Linda

Thank you. I Hope to be adding to these by tomorrow. Have 2 week lings sitting in cups and 5 more still in bator.
Linda

That's great! Good luck!
smile.png

Just a warning, you can seriously hurt a duckling or chick if you try to vent sex. It is recommended that only a properly trained person do it.

Well, it is a personal decision. I have read from multiple reputable sources that you can cause internal damage. I personally don't think it is worth the risk. It may be different for you.

Well, it is a personal decision. I have read from multiple reputable sources that you can cause internal damage. I personally don't think it is worth the risk. It may be different for you.

You definitely can if your technique is not correct, i.e. pressing down on the stomach instead of gently spreading the vent. So it's definitely something to keep in mind if you want to try it. That said, I vent sex and I've never caused a duckling or gosling harm, and I'm self-taught.

I'm not trying to start an argument here or say absolutely no one should try it. I just think if you recommend something like this to someone it is important to warn them about the risks.

I'm not trying to start an argument here or say absolutely no one should try it. I just think if you recommend something like this to someone it is important to warn them about the risks.

Oh I know! Sorry, I wasn't actually disagreeing with you. It's important to know that you're risking injuring or even killing a duckling before you try it so you can be prepared and take that into account before you try.

Back
Top Bottom