Welsh Harlequin

Oh, and here's something I made to show the difference between the silver and gold juvenile plumage :)

I just love the difference between the blue and bronze speculums

The diaper for my ducks arrived yesterday...here is Jemima modeling it! Jasper is my duck ambassador so it'll be fun to see what adventures come!

Last edited:
Thank you, yeah shim (she/him) is still peeping but vocals are changing a wee bit sounds like a chesty cough

If its voice continues to get quieter and raspy I'd say you have a boy. My girls starting peep-QUACKing around 3-5 weeks?

This is what Jasper sounded like when I started to question Jasper was a he

0.jpg

And this is when she started peep-quacking :)
0.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me!
fl.gif

I have an order of 10 WH ducklings shipping out next Monday. As of 5 minutes ago the temperatures on the 10 day forecast significantly dropped, as in high of 9 F low of -6 F. Back when I placed my order I was afraid of this happening, as I am always paranoid when it comes to my animals. I paid extra for not only the grogel but for them to ship them as if I ordered less (with the 60 hour heat pack, etc.)

I am honestly terrified of going to the PO next week. I hope the temperatures change again in the next week.

Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me!
fl.gif

I have an order of 10 WH ducklings shipping out next Monday. As of 5 minutes ago the temperatures on the 10 day forecast significantly dropped, as in high of 9 F low of -6 F. Back when I placed my order I was afraid of this happening, as I am always paranoid when it comes to my animals. I paid extra for not only the grogel but for them to ship them as if I ordered less (with the 60 hour heat pack, etc.)

I am honestly terrified of going to the PO next week. I hope the temperatures change again in the next week.
Oh, hope the ducklings all come in safe!!

Just wondering for all the other WH owners out there, what your experience is with them laying. How early they start, if they continue through winter, if you give them supplemental light? I started a thread with the similar question, but thought I would ask specifically on this thread since they are Welsh Harlequins.

I spoke to the shipper an hour or so ago. They said while the temperatures I listed were very cold that they ship all winter in colder conditions and have very few issues even without the extra options that I included.

They will have a heat pack, insulation, and a special box due to the temperature. I contacted my PO as well and let them know I had ducklings coming in. One of the younger guys at the PO got so excited he asked if he could be the one to call me in the early hours of the morning so he could see me open the box. He's usually the one around when I get my chicks in too.

This all said, the shipper said if I am still too nervous that they are more than willing to postpone. They want me to wait a few days either way though as weather may change.

That's great news! Hopefully the weather forecast will take a turn for the better!

Funny thing, the forecast just warmed back up again. I wish it would make up it's mind, at least if it's mind is set on warmer temperatures
wink.png

I have read this entire thread and all the other duckling care threads on this forum but if anyone has extra tips or tricks I'd be more than thankful to have them.

If all is well next week I will be sure to share photos.

Back
Top Bottom