Welsh Harlequin

Below was one of our very favorite ducks, a Silver phase WH from Sandhill Preservation Center. We had originally ordered 6 Campbells and 6 WH's, but received mostly Campbells and only 2 WHs (one a drake). Sandhill has lovely stock, but they are a very small farm/hatchery and can't always guarantee you the correct quantity of the breeds you order or a hatch date.

We liked Daffodil better than the Campbells, because she was of course, better looking (she was GORGEOUS!!) and would turn eyes all the time when at 4H fairs. She would lay just as well as the Campbells, but stuck our more to predators and taken by a fox I believe on a free-range day :(. She seemed much calmer and more personable than the Campbells did, which surprised me. It didn't take long for WH's to become my favorite duck breed besides Calls and Silver Appleyards.

She would sit on kids' laps calmly at the county fair and allow people to pet her. We didn't train her, she just was like that, very calm. Now try to do that with any runner...I don't think so! Unless of course it's imprinted and has been raised alone. She had less black and brown mottling than many other WH's I have seen, and a bit heavier than the Campbells...for conformation, I would have bred her to a drake with a bit less heaviness and longer-leaner egg-laying body type. She laid many large, white eggs, was a great forager.
The Campbells were lovely as well, but their feathers really bleached out light in the sun and they all looked so similar. However, they blend in much better.

She won reserve one year and Grand Champion another in a county 4H fair....because of her temperament, she was perfect for showmanship. Like I said before, everyone would comment on her...remember with WH's most people (including some judges!) will have no idea what in the world breed of duck you have.

Anyway, I will quit my ramblings, but she was a joy to have for a couple years that we did.
Someday goal is to have a breeding collection of WH's from Holderreads' stock!

Below was one of our very favorite ducks, a Silver phase WH from Sandhill Preservation Center. We had originally ordered 6 Campbells and 6 WH's, but received mostly Campbells and only 2 WHs (one a drake). Sandhill has lovely stock, but they are a very small farm/hatchery and can't always guarantee you the correct quantity of the breeds you order or a hatch date.

We liked Daffodil better than the Campbells, because she was of course, better looking (she was GORGEOUS!!) and would turn eyes all the time when at 4H fairs. She would lay just as well as the Campbells, but stuck our more to predators and taken by a fox I believe on a free-range day :(. She seemed much calmer and more personable than the Campbells did, which surprised me. It didn't take long for WH's to become my favorite duck breed besides Calls and Silver Appleyards.

She would sit on kids' laps calmly at the county fair and allow people to pet her. We didn't train her, she just was like that, very calm. Now try to do that with any runner...I don't think so! Unless of course it's imprinted and has been raised alone. She had less black and brown mottling than many other WH's I have seen, and a bit heavier than the Campbells...for conformation, I would have bred her to a drake with a bit less heaviness and longer-leaner egg-laying body type. She laid many large, white eggs, was a great forager.
The Campbells were lovely as well, but their feathers really bleached out light in the sun and they all looked so similar. However, they blend in much better.

She won reserve one year and Grand Champion another in a county 4H fair....because of her temperament, she was perfect for showmanship. Like I said before, everyone would comment on her...remember with WH's most people (including some judges!) will have no idea what in the world breed of duck you have.

Anyway, I will quit my ramblings, but she was a joy to have for a couple years that we did.
Someday goal is to have a breeding collection of WH's from Holderreads' stock!

She was SO pretty!! :) <3

I just started researching ducks and WH seem like the perfect breed for our family. I was hoping to get some ducklings ASAP, but really only want a trio. Having to get rid of the rest of a minimum shipment might be traumatic for my kids. I can't seem to find a local source (within driving distance- Louisville, KY). Any suggestions out there? Thanks so much!

I just started researching ducks and WH seem like the perfect breed for our family. I was hoping to get some ducklings ASAP, but really only want a trio. Having to get rid of the rest of a minimum shipment might be traumatic for my kids. I can't seem to find a local source (within driving distance- Louisville, KY). Any suggestions out there? Thanks so much!

You could try asking on Craigslist to see if there is anyone who wants to go in on a shipment with you, that way when they arrive you can quickly separate the minimum order.....just an idea. :)

I love my little girl Apri Showers. She's a Silver. Beware of Metzer Farms Welsh Harlequins! In my experience, I've had 2 of them die on me. One when she first arrive at the house, she had bumble foot also, and the second for unknown reasons, we found her dead one morning. They were all house ducks.
My girl lays often and acts like anyother house pet, oh and she loves fabrics!
But they are indeed calm, although mine dosen't like hats. Any other clothing she doesn't mind too much.

Good luck on your search finding the right Welsh Harlequin for you!

Oh and one more thing they change colors with each molt, my April started out white and each molt after she has gotten more "pink" which then leads to brown. Then the color goes back to white front. Go figure...

Last edited:
We're heading to Stockton, CA at the end of the month for the show there. I'm bringing 5 WH ducks, and we've started cage training this weekend! Here are three of the ducks going. My two boys, and my gold phase pullet Elizabeth

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom