Went for four, came home with eight.

Coop de Grille

Songster
12 Years
Apr 24, 2010
South Carolina
I need an intervention.

I told my husband when I was trying to convince him that we needed chickens that I would get four chicks and only hens. I found a local guy hatching Buff Orpingtons on xmas, and Speckled Sussex on New Years Eve. I committed to four of each.

Then today I see on Craigslist Silver Wyandotte chicks for sale. I reserved four of them. I got there and saw another pen full of other babies. I asked what they were and the guy said Easter Eggers. My daughter looked at me and said "GREEN EGGS!!" while putting her hands in a praying position and mouthing "please, please, Please". So I came home with eight baby chicks today. With the other babies that brings my count up to 16.

These were not sexed, I could have eight roosters in my brooder for all I know lol.. Thanks to everyone here on BYC I ordered the 8x12 coop instead of the 4x6. Good thing, huh?

Welcome to chicken math. This is only the beginning!
smile.png

My babies are Silver Laced Wyandottes and Easter Eggers. At what age can I figure out if they are pullet or cockerel? Is there a way to tell at this age? They are 7 and 10 days old.

Probobly not this early. EEs are hard to sex from what I hear. But ive only had bantam version and it was easy.
Silver laced Wyandottes are amazing!
wait a few weeks and post a pic. Males will have whiter wings and back.
Good luck with your babies!
GO PULLETS!

When they are about 4 to 6 weeks you may be able to tell. The boys usually start growing their combs and wattles. Here are a couple of pics of 6 weeks old.

IMG_3052.jpg
IMG_3055.jpg

Chicken math is a beast!! But so, so worth it!! I am thankful everyday that our feed stores don't carry chicks in store (have to preorder) and that I never seem to make it to poultry sales or I would be in so much more trouble than I already am! Good luck with your little guys!!

Quote:
lol i do that evey time i go to get some one time i went to get 1 polish roo and 3 silkies came home with 8 silkies and 3 polish another i go to replace 1 of my silkies come home with 5 silkies and 5 silkie chicks
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom