Went out for a hen brought home a pig

Lady Lavendar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Houston
Today, my husband and I went to the Arcola Trade Day event to look for two new hens. We are new to raising chickens and only just got our first two pairs a few weeks ago. WE LOVE THEM!! and are ready to add new hens to our flock. Anyway, while wandering around talking to the vendors about their chickens we saw a gentleman with a young Pot Belly Pig in his arms. I swear, I only went to take a look and scratch her little head but the next thing I know I'm scratching my name onto the bottom of a check and taking the little cutie home with me. We've named her Emma. She is 2 months old and currently sleeping on my bed behind me. I guess I'm writing this post to say .... HELP!! I know she was an impulse buy but we already adore her and we want her to have the best possible life with us. We want her to be an indoor piggie. Any advice on care and raising, foods, training, vaccs, spaying, umm hoof trimming, etc. would really be appreciated. If you can recommend any good PBP books out there, I would love to read them. Also, I live in Houston near Alvin if anyone lives in the area and can recommend a good Veterinarian. Thanks so much!

with kind regards,
Katrina

4 chickens, 5 dogs, 2 cats, 4 guinea pigs, 1 amazing husband, and now a pot belly piglet named Emma

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry I don't have any answers to your questions but I'd love to have a PBP. They are just adorable
love.gif

You will love her. I brought three babies home yesterday and I already have three elderly ones.
This Yahoo group will be able to answer all of your questions. It's well worth it to join this group if you have pots.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/PigINFOandCHAT/
Yahoo has had technical problems with some of their groups so keep trying.
Hoof trimming is a must. You need to get her used to it while she is young. You will get complete info at the group.
Chances are you already know about the screaming tempertantrums. They can get LOUD when unhappy. To quiet mine down I put the palm of my hand over their nose mouth area. Not tight. Just so they can nuzzle into my hand. It seems to calm them down.
A spayed female will be a more even natured animal. They can get grumpy when in heat. Read all you can about anestesia before you do it though. That group will help with that too.
Several companies make potbellied food pellets. That should be the mainstay in her diet. Any additional food should be veggies and some fruits. And grass and hay. Piggies need fiber as they get older to help things move along.
They are easier than dogs to litterbox train or train to go outdoors. Keep her in a small area until she gets it that the litter box is the place to potty. If you have a small area near an outside door that will be ideal. It will speed up outside training faster.
Car rides are a good idea because you might have to take her someplace in a car as she gets bigger. Anything you will need to do with her when she gets bigger is best learned now while her size is more manageable. A ramp she can walk up is ideal training for later on for getting into a car or van.
Harness training is a good idea if you want to walk her on a leash.
She will need exercise. And they love to root in the yard. Get her outside. If you have steps you might need to build a piggy ramp.
Pigs are food motivated and very smart. If you need for her to do something that she isn't sure about encourage her with cheerios. They will do a lot for one little cheerio.
A quick trick to teach her is to sit on command. Give her a few cheerios to get her attention. Then let her see one in your hand and while you are kneeling in front of her slowly move the cheerio from up front of her nose to the top of her head. Pigs can't look up, so she will have to sit to see where it is. Tell her sit as she is doing it. She will catch on quick!
Fresh water all the time in a heavy bowl she can't tip over.
Have fun, and join that group. People will be able to answer a lot of your questions there.
Best of luck with her!!

I wish that I could go shopping for two hens and bring home a pig. The closest that I'll ever get to doing that is do buy chicken at the supermarket and come home with spareribs!

Suzy

No, pots size depends on the parents genetics. The parents of the ones I just brought home were raised on 40 acers of pasture and fed a regular pig feed, instead of pot bellied pellets. And they are the size of beagles.
Pots can get huge...a couple of hundred pounds, but it depends on the parents or lineage.

Seems like they need Iron shots for some reason. At least that is what I recall from my vet some 16 years ago when I had one.
May have changed nowdays.
Really cool animals, mine thought it was a poodle, but much smarter.
House trained faster than any dog. She HATED the car, pooped everytime we put her in the car.
One day I will get another one.

Back
Top Bottom