Went to a gun show...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, out of the 1000+ people I saw in the building that day the only people proudly flying the confederate flag were the NAZIs. Also, the confederate flag represents the south. They fought for their right to enslave other people, and lost. Maybe it's not a bad thing, maybe I'm just looking at it the wrong way. Can you explain to me how the confederate flag isn't a bad thing?

Sorry Q9... Don't really want to hijack your thread but....

Well, out of the 1000+ people I saw in the building that day the only people proudly flying the confederate flag were the NAZIs. Also, the confederate flag represents the south. They fought for their right to enslave other people, and lost. Maybe it's not a bad thing, maybe I'm just looking at it the wrong way. Can you explain to me how the confederate flag isn't a bad thing?

It's a touchy subject. As to the Confederate flag being a bad thing, from what I understand and see today, people see it as a symbol for fighting for their own rights. Most Americans have a strong sense of freedom, justice, right and wrong, and those who fly/display the Confederate flag are perhaps making a statement, telling our government that they refuse to have their freedoms taken away and will fight for them.

On a side note, not all Confederates were fighting for the right to enslave other people. Some were, yes, but I believe that the majority was really fighting for their freedom to live their lives the way they felt was right, without it being dictated or written out in rules. In no way do I believe it was right for people to have slaves. But I do feel it is wrong for us to generalize the Confederates and say that all they were fighting for was the right to enslave others.

Off my soap box now.

The main reason behind the civil war was slavery. They did want to live their lives the way they wanted to, unfortunately that involved owning other people as property. If you think about it, it's not much different than the swaztika.

Someone here wrote that the confederate flag is a symbol for fighting for their rights. I just blink real hard when I read that; but show me a black person who flys the confederate flag and I will show you a Jew with a swastika tattoo.

The Civil War was fought over State's rights not to be dictated to by the Federal government..... you know, the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

EDITED to show this informative website: http://civilwar.bluegrass.net/secessioncrisis/statesrights.html

The 10th Amendment states: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." This amendment was the basis of the doctrine of states' rights that became the ante-bellum rallying cry of the Southern states, which sought to restrict the ever-growing powers of the federal government. The principle of states' rights and state sovereignty eventually led the Southern states to secede from the central government that they believed had failed to honor the covenant that had originally bound the states together.

Last edited:
The main reason behind the civil war was slavery. They did want to live their lives the way they wanted to, unfortunately that involved owning other people as property. If you think about it, it's not much different than the swaztika.
Someone here wrote that the confederate flag is a symbol for fighting for their rights. I just blink real hard when I read that; but show me a black person who flys the confederate flag and I will show you a Jew with a swastika tattoo.

There is a huge difference between the swastika and the Confederate flag.

For starters, the whole thing behind the Nazi regime was to completely blot out the Jewish race because they were supposedly "inferior" to the Arian/German race, and to completely take over the world -- the Third Reich -- because the Arians were the supreme race and many were led to believe that their purpose was to rule the world.

The purpose behind the Confederate flag was, as ChickChickChicky wrote, states' rights and the violation of the 10th Amendment. Yes, the Civil War's biggie issue was the slavery. There's no denying that. But I don't see the equation between the Confederate flag and the swastika (which is a Hindu symbol, btw).

Show me that Jew cause here is your black man.
http://newsone.com/nation/associatedpress4/black-student-defends-confederate-flag/

An I have known many more.

By the way my first post was meant to be a joke about my screen name. Didnt meant to hijack the thread.

Last edited:
The thread starts out with someone buying a gun and now, we're talking about the confederate battle flag and the War Between the States (with extreme historical misinformation and flaming posted by some, I might add)? Amazing how threads can get so turned around and backwards, geez.
roll.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom