Went to Wal-Mart...and got Mira! Getting clipped!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Apr 25, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Something orange, black and white!!!!

It's an adorable little kitten. A trio of 2 week old kittens was found in the warehouse of the store. 2 of them were faring very well, the third one was dead. They were going to take it into a field to dispose of it, but I said that I would give it a proper burial. The other 2 went to another home. After keeping the body in a warm place, the body started moving around!

3 hours later it was meowing!! Eyes opened!

It has now eaten at least 6mL of formula. I've stimulated it to pee multiple times and gotten lots of it. Still no poo though. Should I be worried?

Ears are slightly open, eyes are open and it is semi-mobile. I've got photos, just gotta upload them!

Look at how cute she is!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Awwwww!!! So sweet of you to give the little thing a second chance, amazing that little voice told you to take the "dead" kitten [​IMG] I wouldn't worry that she's not pooped yet. It might be some time since the kitty has had regular feeding so you don't know what might be in her system. With a couple more regular feedings she should poop. I had to stim my cat to poop when he was tiny too, and it took much more wiping than to get him to pee, and he only would poo once a day. Good luck!! When you get chance to get some pics....[​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am so glad that you gave the kitten a second chance! What are you going to name it? Post some pics when you get a minute! [​IMG]

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    There is only one name for that Kitten..... Lazarus

5. Thegrayeyedgirl

Thegrayeyedgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Ohhhh it's a miracle [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww.. man i hope the little baby makes it!! [​IMG]

7. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

With kittens, get a small amount of heated oil (unscented mineral oil works great) and dip a cotton ball into the oil, then wipe their anus with the oiled cotton ball. If they need to take a poop, it will usually come out onto the cotton ball. Might have to use several cotton balls. Young kittens have to be watched to make sure they don't get the cat version of "pasty butt" where it all keeps packing up inside them and might harm them.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The anus is very, very clean...which blows my mind thanks to the chickens that have poop everywhere.

The kitty is a girl, so no Lazarus! [​IMG] (Plus, I've always hated that name...I realize it's a Biblical name, but it just sounds bad to me.)

I had a gander named "Resurrector" that came back from the dead too.

Keep the names coming please!

I'm debating on "Sawyer" from "Cats Don't Dance". She's already got QUITE the attitude and can climb on us! Climb clear over our shoulders! Amazing!

Cattitude, could she be stopped up from not eating for quite awhile? Or am I just not doing it right? She pees alot, just no poop and no signs of poo? If she doesn't poop by tomorrow afternoon, I will try the mineral oil trick. Thank you for the idea!

10. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    If this is a 2 week old kitten, you will need to encourage it to poop, as a mother cat does. When they are that little, they can't go by themselves. Here is what this link - http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html says regarding the matter. Best of luck! [​IMG]

Stimulation

The kitten's natural mother takes care of both ends of her baby. By licking the kitten's abdomen, she stimulates the bowels and bladder and tidies up the resulting mess. A surrogate cat mom should gently rub the kitten's abdomen and bottom with a cotton ball or pad or tissues moistened with warm water. This stimulates the discharge of waste and keeps babies clean. Be careful to rub only enough to get them to expel waste materials. Keep the area clean and watch for chafing which might indicate that you are rubbing too hard or not cleaning well enough.

When you feed and clean the kittens, wash their fur all over with a barely damp towelette using short stokes as the mother would use. This cleans their fur, teaches them to clean their fur, and gives them a feeling of attention and well-being.

If the kittens have diarrhea and become caked with stool, it is easier on their skin to wash them in warm water.

The kitten's instinctive need to suckle (frustrated by the lack of the mother's breast) may cause the kitten to suckle its litter mate's ears, tail or genitals, causing irritations to develop. Try to satisfy this oral need by caressing each kitten's mouth with your finger or a soft cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by