1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We're building a new coop too!! (lotsa pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by debryman, Apr 1, 2011.

1. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    So I have been spending so much time looking at everyone elses progress on their new coops that I didn't even think to put up pics of our own until just now! I completely forgot to take pics of the progress of our run but here are a few of the coop we are attaching to it. We started the second wee of march on the run and my DH had it done in a couple days. The coop is taking longer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the girls waiting patiently to get in their new digs. They are currently in a temp shelter (old dog house) inside the run.

[​IMG]

The wind is supposed to kick up tomorrow so the roof will probably not get done until Sunday. Then DH has to make the door and install some roosts and will will let them in. So exciting!!!

2. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    That red is AWESOME! (And so is your coop so far...) [​IMG]

3. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    looks fantastic [​IMG]

4. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    That looks AWESOME!!!! We're in the process also. This our second coop and it's added on. Our's is going to be red also.

5. katydidit

katydidit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Love the perches in the coop... it looks great!

wherabouts do you live? looks like you have some beautiful countryside for you and the chooks to enjoy [​IMG]

6. RGWright

RGWright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    NW Missouri
    That red just woke my eyes up. [​IMG]

Very nice layout. You'll have happy chickens for sure.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Nice looking coop going up and the run looks good. However, I could not get over how beautiful an area you live in. I just love seeing where everyone else lives. You have some gorgeous views and I bet at night you can see every twinkling star in the sky! The view from your porch is so different from mine!

Hope your chickies get to go out and investigate the yard more when they grow up. They have a lot of places to scratch around in.[​IMG]

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    GREAT Coop!! I especially like the ventilation windows. I'm sure you'll need them in Joshua Tree. I've camped in the Parks many times over the years and really like your area. Welcome to this chicken addiction!!

9. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    Thanks everyone!! It's been so much fun so far. We are headed out to Home Depot for more 2x4s to construct the door and then will attach aviary wire over the windows/vents. Next will be roosts and finally the nesting box. I was hoping for a move in date of this weekend but may not be until next weekend [​IMG]

For those that asked, we live in Joshua Tree California (the southern Mojave Desert) and it IS beautiful. We've been here three years but came from NW Washington state where I lived for 40 years. This is DEFINITELY a change of scenery!! One of the best things about being here (besides the SUNSHINE!!!) is having enough room to have chickens!! [​IMG]

Thanks again everyone - will post more pics soon [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  10. sunshineyarns

sunshineyarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Gorgeous coop! Ours is barn red too --- I love your backdrop in Joshua!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by