Were you HOMESCHOOLED or PUBLIC SCHOOLED?

Where you homeschooled or public schooled?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Montessori education? Yes. It was incredible.

It's very personalized learning, and acknowledges that every student learns differently. It allows each individual to move at the speed, and in the way that suits them best.

I would not be nearly as advanced if I had not gone.
I fell in love with that idea when I learned about it with my group mates. But no one had any personal experience out of my class so we didn't cover more than the very basics

Ugh, yes. I was homeschooled and if we were ever out in public on a school day we would often have strangers ask us if it was a holiday. When we answered that we were homeschooled, my mom would get quizzed on her expertise, as far as whether she was an actual teacher or not, or people would start asking us kids random math questions. RUDE! 🙄 I plan on homeschooling my kids and I will be pretty aggressive if anyone insinuates that my kids are getting a less than stellar education.
As you mentioned, I love that homeschooling is very individualized. People learn in different ways and also have different interests, and there's so much flexibility offered with homeschooling.
I have neighbors who homeschooled their three boys. When the youngest was a HS junior, his college of choice wanted him tested academically before offering him an athletic scholarship. He tested out at the college sophomore level.

He did do part time public school during his junior and senior years so he didn’t miss out on sports and social activities. This arrangement is similar to how my nieces and nephews were educated, also.

I went to private school through 5th grade, then public through high school. My son goes to the same public school I did. As long as CRT is still banned in schools in Ohio, and I am not forced to get the covid shot to work at that same school(I'm a lunch lady at the school), my son will continue to go there. The minute I or my son are forced to get the shot, or they start teaching CRT, I will pull him out so fast heads would spin. I would have no problem home schooling him if I had to

I've done public K-12 school and then a mix of online and public classes for college. I think I would have enjoyed homeschool, but at the same time, the local homeschool kids are all kinda weird (I am absolutely not saying that every homeschool kid is weird, I'm just saying the ones I know, you can tell there is something a bit off wat cu ing them interact.)
If you wouldn't mind explaining, what was different? I'm homeschooled and I can tell a huge difference when I'm with public school kids... Hard to explain.... Kinda bold? More talkative? And wayy less shy than any other homeschooler I've known.

I was placed public school through out my life. I honestly hated it. It was honestly the district I was in. I don’t fit with the culture of those districts. It was hard for me to make friends.
I begged my parent to be homeschooled or switch to be in my childhood friend school. I got the second plead in place. It was a rough battle between me and my parent. It took my brother parent to convinced them that switching was the best option since they wanted to switch too. Honestly it made me mad that my parent never took my pleads serious or concerns serious.

I am glad I was never placed in private. Since it was mostly Christian based school. I already hated going to church every Sundays. lol

If you wouldn't mind explaining, what was different? I'm homeschooled and I can tell a huge difference when I'm with public school kids... Hard to explain.... Kinda bold? More talkative? And wayy less shy than any other homeschooler I've known.
As an adult who attended public school before home schooling was a thing, I can see improvements over the years and various home-schooled kids I’ve met.

The earliest home schoolers I met were a bit socially awkward. But as parents realized this, they found ways to expand kids’ contacts with others their own age.

For the most part, I would describe home school kids from the most recent generations as more secure, more mature, and better grounded in reality. I went from vehemently anti-home-schooling in my younger years to, if I had children to educate now, I would definitely do it at home.

As a teacher, I gotta say that it really depends on the student and the family situation. I've been a public school teacher for many years now, but I have taught at private schools, and I homeschooled for a few years. I have seen public school kids switch to home schooling and blossom. I've seen home schooled kids switch to public school and thrive.

But I've also seen the public schooler-turned-home schooler and end up regressing as well as the home schooler-turned-public schooler drown both academically and socially. I've seen parents use home schooling to control their kids to the point of abuse, and public school parents completely abandon their kids and give up on their educations.

So, I think it all depends.

(For the record, I am a product of public schools and received a seriously top notch education)

Last edited:
They're very, very shy (I'm shy myself, but this is a whole new level), or If they're not shy like that, quite rude. They don't really know how to interact with people outside of their homeschool group, especially strangers, for a good while before they get used to you. They're in a group that has like 8 kids between 3 families so they all are very comfortable around each other, but not anyone outside the group. Once they graduate and start going into the "real world" for a job and college, it doesn't take too long for them to get out of their shell though.

I can't vote. Private, Catholic, all girls school here. DD also went to the same school. The kids are, were and have always been very accepting and out spoken. They pride themselves on diversity and will argue, fight, whatever they have to do, to allow people their own beliefs (whether they agree with those beliefs). Now she is at a Jesuit run college (same one I went to, but her decision). God help us all when she gets her undergrad degree. I guess we will see where she does her grad work to really see what kind of person she ends up being. :lau :lau :th:oops:

Back
Top Bottom