West Coast Fires Affecting Laying in Midwest?

I was in the feed store Saturday and mentioned that my chickens are molting a bit early this year. A couple of us started talking, and it seems we are all seeing early molt and slowdown of egg laying.
One suggested that this early overall halt in poultry laying is because of the hazy skies from the west coast fires, which are prematurely shortening the days and making them cooler, too.

The last couple of days I have noticed that it gets dark almost right after sunset, with no real clouds in the sky.

We are in the eastern part of Missouri. One of my friends in Kansas noticed the early molt, too. I would expect the further west you go, the greater the effect.

Anybody else seeing this?

I was in the feed store Saturday and mentioned that my chickens are molting a bit early this year. A couple of us started talking, and it seems we are all seeing early molt and slowdown of egg laying.
One suggested that this early overall halt in poultry laying is because of the hazy skies from the west coast fires, which are prematurely shortening the days and making them cooler, too.

The last couple of days I have noticed that it gets dark almost right after sunset, with no real clouds in the sky.

We are in the eastern part of Missouri. One of my friends in Kansas noticed the early molt, too. I would expect the further west you go, the greater the effect.

Anybody else seeing this?
Well, I'm right in the fires, and my 6mo olds are too young to molt, but laying...yup. I have four layers, egg average 3-4, now 1-2. Ever since the smoke started.

I have noticed this too.
Seems hazy here.
Someone local swore they smelled wood smoke(have doubts that from the western fires tho).

But I don't think it's causing 'early' cessation of lay or molting.
'Tis the season, seems pretty much the same as previous years.

Back
Top Bottom