What’s in your first aid box ?

Recently I forget which member on worst mistakes thread confessed she trimmed her chickens nails without anything to stop bleeding. Funny thread but I’m sure scary. This is what prompted vet bond. The chicken ate the bandage used to stop bleeding cuz she didn’t cover with vet wrap or koflex. Had no styptic powder. Looked up corn starch. Had to give chicken stool softeners to pass eaten bandage. Bloody mess! I think chicken ok.
MissChick@dee or Miss K, I think

I am very against beak trimming by cutting. It's very easy to cause splits in the beak, even with sharp cutters in the hands of someone experienced. I've had rescue hens here that have had their beaks badly cut and it's heartbreaking.
Toenails and beaks can be filed. It does take more time but it's a lot safer. I manage to misscut my own toenails!
Really? I've had quite a few that need routine beak trimming and trimming them is a non-issue.

Check out this post, it's a collection of items that BYC members suggested.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1150128/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit-preliminary

Really? I've had quite a few that need routine beak trimming and trimming them is a non-issue.

Check out this post, it's a collection of items that BYC members suggested.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1150128/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit-preliminary
Yes, really.:)
People are still going to do it; I'm very much against it. I'm against cutting roosters spurs as well, but people are still going to do it. I have,(obviously from the relevant post) had hens here with beak problems. I use a file. Same for toenails and spurs.:)
What is wrong with the chickens beaks you have to 'routinely' trim?

I don't know if the link was meant for me, but I read some time ago.

Let me explain a little. The beak/toenail cutters I’ve seen will create a flat on the tip of the beak.
No need to explain. It's easy to create a pointy tip with these:
cutter_1.png

Imo you should file the beak back to shape after using clippers anyway.
Good idea, but I'm too lazy. :oops:
Often here, because of overcrowded conditions, in order to prevent chickens from damaging each other when pecking it has been fairly common practice to ‘trim’ the point off their beaks. They can still pick up pellet food,
The birds I have mentioned cannot eat properly unless their beaks are trimmed.

In response to your last post, you could if you chose, adjust these beak problems with a file
No way, lol, that's too much work *and* it would be way more stressful to the bird. To me it would be like filing a horses hooves rather than using nippers.

I think maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. :D

Edited to add:
I think I'll start a thread on the subject in order to keep this one on topic.

Good idea re the cocc. stuff. I have been intending to get some but you know what it’s like, I don’t need it so it can wait. I will get s9me with my next amazon order.

Would be interested to know more about your wormer knowledge. I only use verm x. I realise it’s not very strong but thought it would do the job required ?

And what is Stockholm hoof tar ? Sounds like something for horses ? What’s it for ? More info definitely needed please.

I read lately I am supposed to also keep nail trimmers for beaks and toenails. Can buy dog ones but I do not trim nails. Will let vet handle that most likely. I don’t trim my dogs either. Vet and groomer do. But can do for self. I got free lifetime nail trims when I bought my dog if stuck with same vet and can’t beat that.

Recently I forget which member on worst mistakes thread confessed she trimmed her chickens nails without anything to stop bleeding. Funny thread but I’m sure scary. This is what prompted vet bond. The chicken ate the bandage used to stop bleeding cuz she didn’t cover with vet wrap or koflex. Had no styptic powder. Looked up corn starch. Had to give chicken stool softeners to pass eaten bandage. Bloody mess! I think chicken ok.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom