What’s wrong with my chicken

Goobster

Hatching
Dec 8, 2021
I noticed a day or two ago that my rooster’s waddle were swelling up and are hard for him to carry they have swelled up more over night we are thinking it is fowl cholera
34566FB7-FB2D-42C8-BD02-9E1A093FDA64.jpeg
A91CA53C-7BDF-4D42-996F-4FDCF7BC9E88.jpeg
B15CF8E9-1FF0-4BF5-ADA6-DB8DBB4D9A0B.jpeg

Where are you located in the world and what are your temperatures like?

Possible Fowl Cholera, but the tips of his comb are also affected. I'm thinking this is more like Frostbite.
In the upper peninsula of Michigan temps have ranged from -20 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit

Ventilation in winter is important to help prevent Frostbite. I understand it sounds counterintuitive but it helps. Ventilation up high along the eaves to help pull moisture from the coop. How's your coop windows set up? Can they be cracked open to let air circulate?
You want to block drafts/direct wind, but allow fresh air to come in.

With those temperatures, your rooster has Frostbite.
If possible, moving him somewhere a little warmer would be a good idea. Damaged tissue is going to swell and likely will eventually weep, points on the comb turn black and fall off - self dub. The wattles, likely they got wet from water station(s). They may also turn necrotic looking as well. Don't handle frostbitten tissue unless absolutely necessary, just monitor it. If you detect the bad odor of infection, then going ahead and dubbing him may be the better option.

Back
Top Bottom