What’s wrong with Princess Stormy the Turken 🐔

Bekahmarie

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
East Texas
This little lady is refusing to come out of the coop. I just found her hiding out between the wall and the waterer (the place you wouldn’t find a chicken) she’s about 6 months old and I’m not sure if she’s laying now or not. She is the runt of the flock, part of me thinks she’s scared of my roosters, the other part of me things she’s getting ready to lay. I have 3 hens and 2 roosters. When she does come out of the coop she runs in a circle squawking as loud as possible. We tried an apron but since she’s a naked neck they are no good.

Attachments

• 7FE93C7A-D394-457D-8ACB-7B6A91B856D7.jpeg
    7FE93C7A-D394-457D-8ACB-7B6A91B856D7.jpeg
    488.1 KB · Views: 10
  • B11BD0EF-8C74-4980-8603-C54D5E3BD163.jpeg
    B11BD0EF-8C74-4980-8603-C54D5E3BD163.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 10
She might be getting ready to lay. Because they don't know what's going on with their bodies, they can act out a bit and start doing things that they typically wouldn't do. She might be looking to build a nest. Try placing her in a newly opened bag of shavings if you have one. Some hens love those for nests. It should get her comfortable, if she doesn't run off because she's nervous around you, and be fine. You might have to place her in it a couple of times to show her what it's for. Also, if you have more than one rooster in the flock, you should try separating the extras. Multiple roosters in one flock can cause extra stress on any of your hens.

I love the name of your Turken! I have a Buff Brahma named Princess! (My Princess found a bag of shavings, and she made that into her "secret nest".)

You should probably get rid of at least one of the roosters. Can you feel her pelvic bones near her vent? See if you can fit two fingers in between them. If so, she is probably laying or getting close to laying. Is she eating and drinking?

@aart
I’ve been making sure that she eats and drinks! I will check the pelvis tomorrow!

She might be getting ready to lay. Because they don't know what's going on with their bodies, they can act out a bit and start doing things that they typically wouldn't do. She might be looking to build a nest. Try placing her in a newly opened bag of shavings if you have one. Some hens love those for nests. It should get her comfortable, if she doesn't run off because she's nervous around you, and be fine. You might have to place her in it a couple of times to show her what it's for. Also, if you have more than one rooster in the flock, you should try separating the extras. Multiple roosters in one flock can cause extra stress on any of your hens.
I have some shaving in their coop and I’ve notice that someone is nesting there. I wonder if it’s her. 🤔 I keep it nice and fresh in there.

I love the name of your Turken! I have a Buff Brahma named Princess! (My Princess found a bag of shavings, and she made that into her "secret nest".)
I was just telling someone that I put fresh shavings in their coop and it looks like someone is nesting in there... I wonder if it might be her.
this little girl has had the name Smokey, stormy ... now princess stormy because she acts like the princess of the coop lol

Back
Top Bottom