What a bad week with my Anatolians

Quote:
X2 If you can find out why what happened, so can the police. I don't think any PD these days takes gun violence lightly, even in KY. And make no mistake, this is gun violence. Report what happened for your future protection. Just knowing the PD is on to him may be enough to keep the kid in check.

all I saw is that he was "shooting" was he shooting across your property? at your horses or dogs? If not (or no proof) there is nothing you can do. Well, unless there is reason to believe it's illegal for him to be in possession of a gun. Especially if it's the first 2, then call the police if you have a neighbor who will say that they heard the shooting.
In most places, there isn't any law that says he can't target practice on his own property, even if the noise scares your animals.

It might be that he didn't do this to start trouble. Maybe you not being home was a coincidence or maybe he didn't want to bother you with the noise so was trying to be nice and take advantage of you not being there to hear.

ETA: re-read the original post. Sounds like the horses were scared by the noise. I'd say work on desensitizing them to loud noises like gunfire or build a stronger fence that they can't break through. He isn't being irresponsible just because the noise scared the horses. If he saw that the horses were terrified of the noise and trying to break through the fence, that makes him a bit of a jerk, but still not irresponsible.

Last edited:
dainerra...that is a strange conclusion you come up with. Strange indeed. How does the punk, shooting to frighten the horses make him a jerk, but doesn't make him irresponsible? The shooter does not have to be shooting 'across' their property. He cannot just be shooting into a void. Shooting at a tree is irresponsible in itself. There is no guaranty the bullet will embed itself in the tree. It may well find a new path to travel off the side of the tree. I have had more than one person checked into for just that. If target practice is what he was doing, it is his repsonsibility to have a proper backstop to keep the bullets in a given area and not allow them to travel around the neighborhood.

No this 20 year old with the mind of a 10 year old punk is extremely irresponsible.

That's irresponsible at it most articulate definition.

Last edited:
Ole Rooster is right. The kid is irresponsible. While in our area you do have the right to shoot on your own property, this kid does not have a proper backstop. He has been told time and time again by the police that he needs one. He doesn't seem to care. He is a renter and the property he is on is only an acre. He shoots into the woods behind it. Now if I want to get extremely technical it is almost impossible for him to shoot without a bullet to cross my back corner of my property.

Will add more to this later but I'm out of time.

startingover - Have you tried talking to the landlord? If the guy is so irresponsible with his guns, he probably has no respect for rental property. Besides, I doubt the landlord wants a bunch of dead and damaged trees on his property that need to be removed because this guy is shooting them up.

If you're being 'technical' he can't barely shoot w/o crossing over your property?... I'd not say that's being 'technical', considering he's obviously NOT heeded advice by police of yet, shoots aimlessly into backing trees (it's almost hunting season here & that would NOT go over well!), then while not heeding the police, he causes mass panic that results in the damage of your fence by panicked livestock & the loss of life of a neighbor's dog due to the resulting loose animals (even though they didn't take it to the vet does not make it void, the cost of the dog is at least there- whether they want to 'replace' or not)... I'd say that's being HONEST & having the ability to involve the police again.

Especially since this guy's already been talked to, this resulting damage may not be "his fault" (from how you describe the hard proof, no one SAW it, etc) but it could very well escalate the situation to where he's given a citation or other firmer reprimand from the police about his irresponsible shooting. At most, he could get in actual trouble for causing the resulting damage (based on what hard proof you *do* have), or 'harassing livestock' by his lack of backdrop, his bullets crossing your property (legally, whether the horses were in that corner or not!), etc.

I would for sure try contacting the landlord, but I would call the police also, even more so since this guy's already been on their radar for his "fine" shooting skills.

I didn't see that he didn't have a proper backstop. That's a reason to call the cops because it's dangerous and irresponsible.

If my neighbor's shooting scares my livestock, there is nothing that I can do to stop it as it's not illegal for them to be shooting on their property. If I ask them to stop and they ignore me, then yes I would consider them jerks. But they aren't being "irresponsible" because they are fully within their rights to shoot there. In my case, I worked with them to get the goats and such over their fear.

So, yeah, I'll stand behind my feeling that he's a jerk if all he is doing is shooting on his property.

Now, shooting across your property is irresponsible as is shooting without a proper backstop.

I'd be concerned to bring the cops in on this one, because if they found out the ASDs caused the little dogs death, the ASDs may be labeled dangerous, and that brings a whole slew of problems for the dog owner. I'd suggest you find out if there are dangerous dog laws in your area. Dont think just because it's rural there are not such things, I have friends who have had all kinds of problems with those laws, way out in farmland.

Very true WatchDog... might be worth checking to see if there's provocation clauses...
Where we were stationed in IL the city had provocation laws that pretty much waived the 'perp' dog if it was provoked, even if it left it's yard & did harm- ie if a kid was teasing it, or in a personal case, a friend's neighbor had been provoking her dogs while walking her dog, after speaking with her, she escalated to walking her dog TO her fence & getting the dogs worked up. One day they jumped the fence & got into a squabble with her dog, her dog wrapped its leash around the woman's legs & tripped her lol. Unfortunately she told the police my friend's dogs bit her, etc. & she wanted them destroyed (no marks, refused a medical exam, couldn't show anyone proof) & the police specifically told her since she provoked the dogs, even if they had bitten her, she would still get a citation (& she did just for provoking them).

I'm not personally familiar with LGDs so I'm not sure how things are handled with them differently (if at all). Her dogs were sufficiently contained until this kid stirred the livestock enough to break through the barrier, & the other dog's family doesn't seem like they'd press charges- helping her find the horses, commenting how the dogs let go/stopped when she yelled, etc.
I just can't believe there's no recourse for the OP after all this.

Dainerra, I get that this kid was on his rented property, but people can still get in trouble for harassing livestock & especially if they actually get loose due to it. Like harassing cows across the fence.

Talk to the renters landlord about the incident.
Let them know that their renter's behavior, not keeping his dog under control which entered your property to harass your chickens and shooting activity created a calamity.

Inquire of the police what options are available. If you don't want to do it directly, look for one or two when they go for lunch at a diner or such. Ask for advice and offer to buy their meal or coffee. If they are in the middle of their meal wait until after they finish.
Consult a lawyer who deals with this type of situation, they may know some ways to remedy this that you might not have thought of.

The neighbor who lost the dog, offer to replace their dog with any one of their choosing.

Now for your dog eating your chickens because the other is keeping him from eating. This is a dominance issue. You and your family need to be the assertive dominant pack leaders. **Do not consult the knucklehead on the back of your property line that thinks he's Cesar Milan. Very few of us will ever achieve what Cesar has achieved, not because we can't but because we don't dedicate ourselves as Cesar does.
Cesar offers great advice on feeding dogs and that is a great time to assert your dominance.
1. Always prepare the food in front of them.
2. Have separate bowls for each dog.
3. Keep them at a distance while preparing, outside an invisible boundary you mandate.
4. They must remain calm or they don't get their meal.
5. The one who is the most calm eats first.
6. Bite your dogs on the neck or hind quarters when they get out of line. (With your Shaolin Tiger Claw, not teeth.) This is how pack leaders assert dominance.
7. When they finish they can't approach another dogs bowl. If they do they get a bite (Tiger claw). They must move away from the remaining feeding dogs.

Cesar's Mastering Leadership series, especially Volume 2: Becoming a Pack Leader, will help you with your situation.
Vol. 2: Becoming a Pack Leader. Cesar shows you how to become your dog's pack leader, how to use your energy and body language to control your dog, and how to set rules and boundaries.

I'm no Cesar Milan but I'm trying.
lol.png

Cheers​

Back
Top Bottom