What a bad week with my Anatolians

Quote:
I'm no Cesar Milan but I'm trying.
lol.png

Cheers

The dogs need to be separated when eating to begin with. We don't know if the OP free feeds, but if they do that needs to stop until a better solution can be worked out.

I would call the sheriff/police and ask them "hypothetically" what the laws are... At the very least save your tape and document, document, document. Write down this incident, work with the other neighbors to document every time he shoots. Pretty soon he'll do something illegal if he hasn't already. Of course, even if he's not technically illegal but a sheriff still went and "talked" to him.. it might be effective. I would also be looking for holes in my barn. I don't know many kids that shoot at the air. He's eventually going to target practice on something. (besides birds.)

On an unrelated note: I would LOVE to talk to you about your Anatolians! I am researching them and the GP right now. I think the Ana's are such a good looking dog!

Quote:
There is no talking to this landlord and that is another part of what is so sad. A few years back we tried to buy this 1 acre from him that had the rental trailer on it. His renter has just moved out. The place was absolutely trashed. The horrible flood of 97 had put this whole trailer underwater. I knew that he never had it cleaned, but I didn't know HOW bad it was. In my opinion that place should be torn down. At any rate - the landlord and us agreed to have the place appraised by an independent person that was picked out of the phone book. We split the cost. It was appraised at 13K. We offered the guy 20K thinking that he couldn't turn it down. We were so tired of the trash next door that it would have been worth it to us! He turned it down! Said that he wouldn't take any less than 69K for it because a trailer about a mile from here sold for that a few months ago! OMG! Yes it did - and that place was a brand new trailer, never lived in, on 5 acres! Whatever buddy. So obviously we didn't buy it. He then proceeds to dump a ton of money into the place. Put new siding on it - when they took the siding off - The outside of the walls were covered with black mold from the flood. That is NASTY. I called the health department and they said there is nothing they can do because in the south end of our county there aren't any laws to enforce in regards to that!

So anyway - this landlord lets the next people move in. Adult male of the household turns out to be a sex offender. It was actually someone from the elementary school up the road who figured it out when they were doing their monthly check of the predators in the area. Of course they let us all know because that person was a friend of my neighbor. So technically, it didn't come from the school.

So I called the landlord and asked him WHY he let a sexual offender move in to his trailer next door to my place and NOT tell me! We did not part on bad terms. To me there was no reason for that. He said he didn't know anything about it. There ended up being ALOT of problems from these people and one day they were just gone. So I know this landlord will not do anything unless forced by a court to do anything. He doesn't care about what goes on here as long as he gets his rent money every month. It's sad.

I have a few more minutes then I have to run but wanted to comment on one more thing before I go to work.

I do not use or endorse ANYTHING with Cesar Milan. My comment about the neighbor behind me thinking that he is was trying to tell what kind of mindframe he is in when it comes to dogs. He THINKS because he has read some Cesar Milan stuff that he knows all there is to know about dogs. This includes my dogs. (This neighbor is someone that I DON"T want to associate with in any way. He is nothiong but a PITA) I don't think that Cesar Milan's training has any place in the LGD world. These dogs are an entirely different creature. They are not like any dog you will ever own. It will completely change the way you do everything with a dog. I would NEVER NEVER ever attempt to "bite" these dogs. I would be asking for trouble. There is a certain amount of dominance/independence that these dogs NEVER give up. They were breed that way. YOu can't change it. You can work with it, learn how to handle it, but you can't forcibly change it.

I would never try to pin these dogs down as an adult. I would get hurt. My male is easily 150 pounds or more, he weighs more than me (last time I had him on the scale was 2 years ago and he was 120 pounds at 14 months.) I control him by respect. He respects me as the alpha. I tell him no and he listens as well as an Anatolian does. lol. My female listens to me very well. She has a lot better sense of what is right an wrong than her brother does. She is the dominant dog of the 2. Her main fault is her food aggression. We have dealt with this ever since she was young. We found a solution to feeding the dogs where no one fought. She eats inside the barn and he eats outside the barn. They can't see each other and are a good 40 feet apart. Recently she decided she didn't want him eating again. I didn't know it until he started killing the birds. I figured out WHY he was doing it and am correcting the problem. They do not get fed free choice per say. They get food in their bowls twice a day. While they might not eat right away, it is usually gone by the next meal. This is changing to correct our food problem.

OK I have to go to work now.

Very good. Have a good day at work. And I must say you do sound as though you have a good grip on your situation. You know how to handle your dogs so do it your way. But of the entire episode the one thing that stands out in my mind is the neighbor that lost the dog and wanting to help get your horses up. To me that is just golden. To have a neighbor like that is rar'er than having a 'true' friend. What a treasure.

Quote:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
I cannot tell you how many times I tell people this about our wonderful dogs!
THANK YOU for being an LGD owner that uses BRAIN not BRAWN!
I will hug you if I ever meet you!

Me too you don't screw with an LGD or you WILL get hurt. My neighbor has to be careful because her dog hs become my LGD withut any training just decided to protect my ducks and and It growl and snarles at m if I go near the ducks and they're mine! The dog is the sweetest thing ever but it even barks at her when she goes to pick it up and bring it inside (It refuses to leave the ducks side even when bribed).

Quote:
Umm..if she can pick it up, that's not an LGD. That's a dog being possessive! LGDs are a group of dogs bred specifically for the purpose of guarding animals. A dog who decides to do it on it's own is not an LGD.

Will gladly take you up on that hug! It is astonishing how many people think that by YELLING at these dogs or smacking them will make them listen. No way. Not happening.

Do your dogs tattle on each other too? Mine do! I can always tell when one of them is doing something that he/she shouldn't! The other one is trying to get my attention - if they could only talk - "Mom, mom. mom, mom, mom! Come and see! Look what he/she is doing and I'm not!!" lol

Quote:
Oh yes, they tattle! The best way I can describe them is a phrase my friend coined (she is also owned by ASDs) - they are "order nerds". They want their order, their routines, and when something is amiss, they alert to it. My dogs will tattle on each other, they will also alert to a new wall hanging or piece of furniture (unless they see me install it, then it's okay b/c mom did it), and heaven forbid we move their crates. When I leave town, it's chaos for at least a day b/c dad is feeding them and thats just weird. They all run around like they havent a clue whats going on, go to the wrong cages etc.
Silly dogs.

Back
Top Bottom