What age can i have my hens hatch chicks

Chickenlover7711

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 12, 2010
I have 1 orington rooster and 5 orington hens 1 delaware hen and 1buckeye all around 18 weeks. When will i be able to have my hens be broody and hatch chicks?

If your chickens are around 18 weeks - - - are they even laying yet???

Each breed is different. Some breeds never or rarely go broody - - - ie. leghorns.
Others go broody a lot - - - game chickens.

I have 8 hens between the ages of 8 - 10 months old. Only 2 have gone broody and each has been broody only once. My SLW wyandotte went broody around 8 months of age and one of my marans went broody around 6 months of age. I have 4 marans and only one has gone broody.

So, the moral of the story - - - they go broody when they want to and as frequently as they want to. There are no clear expectations . . .
If you get a good broody hen - -- she is a blessing or curse depending or weather you want to hatch eggs or EAT eggs.

I think the hens will decide for you...the young ones might have some false starts at setting. Depending on the breed...some set more than others. So first, they will start laying. Then one day one of them will lay an egg and stay on it. She will fluff up and growl at you if she is serious. You can then put some more eggs under her and hopefully she will stay on them for 21 days.

You picked the right breed if you want broody hens. BO are notorious for going broody. Mine has been broody at least 3 times this year.
barnie.gif
Not good if you want eggs. She just hatched out some chicks about 2 months ago. She raised that hatch, then she went broody again. Cleo, my black Cochin, just hatched out 4 chicks, and Henrietta (my BO), is helping "mother " them.
jumpy.gif
It seems the "heavies" go broody frequently.

Jen

i got a 6-7 month old broody silkie with chicks right now also another 2 the same age sitting on eggs. So far they are doing great broody mama is really looking after her babies.

Quote:
I dont think she means orpingtons either she has the same typo everytime she types the name or shes calling them something else. I saw pics of her birds and wonder where she found out what they were.

Back
Top Bottom