What age do chickens live up to?

I read somewhere that they live to be about 12 years old. But I would think that there will always be an exception to the rules.
wink.png

Plenty of people have older chickens, but it doesn't mean Guiness came out to verify their ages. Plus, how would the average Joe prove it? I take pictures of my chicks hatching, but who's to say this rooster used to be that (time-stamped) chick?

Most chickens never live beyond 8 weeks. It is just the chickens that are pets that live much longer.
cool.png

we had a buff orpington that lived to the age of 17 before we rehomed her (we moved overseas, and she couldn't come with). She was twelve pounds, grew spurs, and still layed eggs.

Last edited:
Wow.. My Henny is 6 and it's good if I get 1 or 2 eggs a year from her! I can't imagine a 17 year old hen still laying eggs... What breed??! Buff Orp? Hmmm.. Henny's a Black Australorp.... We'll see how long she keeps it up.

Last edited:
She was a buff orpington...one of the best birds I have ever known. On a good week, we would get two out of her. That adds up to more than just one or two a year though....probably should have bred her lmao.

Back
Top Bottom