What age do most cockerels begin crowing?

That's too funny....I just posted too describing one of my guys sounding like an old hinge.

Do you happen to have any pics of your sebright cockerel? I've got one that's 8.5 weeks old and I just don't know if it's a cockerel or not! It would be great to compare my chickies' comb to yours!

Here are a couple photos - they're a few weeks old (my camera died), but should show clearly enough.

Store Chicks, 5-10-18, Angel.JPG < Angel, my little cockerel. From the 10th.
Store Chicks, 5-8-18, Spot.JPG < Spot, one of the presumed pullets.

The two pullets have no comb at all, really, just the tiny ridge where one may be someday, and no red at all. Angel doesn't have a prominent comb yet, but it's noticeably red and larger, with small wattles.

Here are a couple photos - they're a few weeks old (my camera died), but should show clearly enough.

View attachment 1405078 < Angel, my little cockerel. From the 10th.
View attachment 1405080 < Spot, one of the presumed pullets.

The two pullets have no comb at all, really, just the tiny ridge where one may be someday, and no red at all. Angel doesn't have a prominent comb yet, but it's noticeably red and larger, with small wattles.
Yeah....I've got a cockerel..:rant

Your chicks are beautiful though! I would have loved to have gotten some silver ones too! Thanks for sharing your pics....that makes a really clear comparison, even in the way they hold themselves.

Haha...I've been in total denial but I think it's time to move past that. :hit

This is my Delilah:

0B706B8C-4708-496E-9ADA-A8B67ED223D5.jpeg

0C968829-6529-413B-827B-6C238DF32978.jpeg

The first pic was this week...the second pic was taken a little before the 10th, so around the same age as yours were. :tongue Delilah definitely looks like a cockerel in comparison. Thanks for helping me out! (And sorry to briefly hijack this thread!)

Of my presumed SIX:th cockerels of a group of eight 8.5 week old chickens (5 were supposed to be pullets, 3 straight run), I now have three crowing. My mystery guy turned out to be a brown leghorn and he is gorgeous and so is his crow, which began at seven weeks, clear as a bell...perfect the very first time.

Now, my adorable little teddy bear who loves to cuddle, a black Bantam Cochin, has started the cutest little crow ever. It sounds like an old hinge closing, crossed with a tiny elderly woman clearing her throat. :lau

My Welsummer had also started attempting to crow the last few days, but he mostly just makes "ERRR!" noises.

I guess I have a crew of over -achievers....especially considering they were supposed to be pullets! :lau

Mine were all supposed to be pullets too! I did have a neighbor come and want to barter for one of the roosters the other day. Husband talked to him, I wasn't home. How often does that happen? Like never! So, I'll be giving up one. Didn't want any roosters actually, but hatcheries make mistakes, yes? YES!
:barnie :ya :barnie :ya I feel both ways!

Mine were all supposed to be pullets too! I did have a neighbor come and want to barter for one of the roosters the other day. Husband talked to him, I wasn't home. How often does that happen? Like never! So, I'll be giving up one. Didn't want any roosters actually, but hatcheries make mistakes, yes? YES!
:barnie :ya :barnie :ya I feel both ways!
Yes....I love love LOVE roosters but now it's heartbreaking because I can't keep them all.

My 12 year old daughter sent me a video of our roo, Marty the one man party, and she said I think something is wrong with Marty. He was crowing but it sounds more like a dying cat, he was 8 wks when he started to try and crow :) still working on his big boy voice

Back
Top Bottom