What age & how often will BR's go Broody ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by giasmom, Apr 11, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I just got 6 BR's that are now laying ,they are all supposed to be about 10/11 months old. Just wondering at what age & how often they will go broody ? I want some fuzzie little babies !

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They may never. BRs are not known for broodiness. I've had ten Br hens and none have ever even hinted at it, though, a few of them did have a mother with broody tendencies, owned by a friend of mine. I woudn't hold my breath waiting for that with this breed, honestly.

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Thank you for your reply. Although now, I am very sad !

4. chickens asome

chickens asome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    kenora ontairo canada
    if you get a silkie hen it is a very high chance that it will sit on the eggs but if you dont want to cross your chickens you can get an old hen that dont lay eggs she will still hatch the eggs but not all silkies sit but most do [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

You just need to get another breed that tends toward broodiness to hatch your BR eggs. I'm not a Silkie fan, but they are almost guaranteed to brood, as are Cochins.

6. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Quote:Assuming that you have a rooster in the group, your best bet would be to get a incubator.

7. speckledhen

Well, an incubator would work, but broodies do not have power outages or temp fluctuations, LOL.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have 7 BR's who lay regularly- but broody? Not interested. My Cochin Bantam would love to hatch the eggs, and next time she goes broody I will let her. Meanwhile, I incubate the eggs. And then I try to re-home all the roos!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Ohhhh, very true! My last hatch, the humidity went wild, and on hatch day the power was flickering on and off. It was not a good hatch, a hen would have done much better.

10. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Quote:But you dont have to wait for an Incubator to decide to start up for you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by