What age & how often will BR's go Broody ?

giasmom

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Woodville, Al
I just got 6 BR's that are now laying ,they are all supposed to be about 10/11 months old. Just wondering at what age & how often they will go broody ? I want some fuzzie little babies !

They may never. BRs are not known for broodiness. I've had ten Br hens and none have ever even hinted at it, though, a few of them did have a mother with broody tendencies, owned by a friend of mine. I woudn't hold my breath waiting for that with this breed, honestly.

if you get a silkie hen it is a very high chance that it will sit on the eggs but if you dont want to cross your chickens you can get an old hen that dont lay eggs she will still hatch the eggs but not all silkies sit but most do
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Quote:
Assuming that you have a rooster in the group, your best bet would be to get a incubator.

I have 7 BR's who lay regularly- but broody? Not interested. My Cochin Bantam would love to hatch the eggs, and next time she goes broody I will let her. Meanwhile, I incubate the eggs. And then I try to re-home all the roos!

Quote:
Ohhhh, very true! My last hatch, the humidity went wild, and on hatch day the power was flickering on and off. It was not a good hatch, a hen would have done much better.

Back
Top Bottom