What age is a chicken ment start laying?

jazzy86

Hatching
6 Years
May 26, 2013
Australia
My hen hasn't layed yet she's 9 months old when does she start laying ?

My hen hasn't layed yet she's 9 months old when does she start laying ?
From what I can see on the pic, her comb is getting bright red. You will probably get one of her in the next couple of weeks. My CLB didn't start laying until 52 weeks old.

wow, one year old? I thought they started laying around 18-20 weeks. Have I been misinformed or is there quite a big difference by breed?

wow, one year old? I thought they started laying around 18-20 weeks. Have I been misinformed or is there quite a big difference by breed?
Most breeds usually start laying at 18-24 weeks. But some take longer, CLB's are quite late layers and Buff Orpingtons usually lay at about 32 weeks. It really depends on breed, health and the time of year that they get to POL, if they get to POL late in the year they usually wait out until the next year to start laying.

most chickens start to lay between 4-6 months old. Yours looks like she is about to lay because her comb and wattles are getting red. I had 2 EEs that didnt lay until they were 11 months old. This is not usually the case for EEs, but they were just late starters. Each breed varies on time frames on when they start laying. And then you get the ocassional late starter.

She will be laying soon. Her comb is getting red. And i agree. She looks like a rhode island red. Keep us updated on her first egg!

Back
Top Bottom