What age is too far apart to put new chicks together?

Chickending

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Minnesota
I have 3 week old chicks right now. I am moving the 3 week olds to the coop this week, right now they are in a very large brooder. I am new to this and am not sure what to do. A vacation bible school has 9 chicks - a little over a week old that they need to find a home for. Can I put the younger ones in with the 3 week olds and will they all be ok? I was thinking of putting them in the coop with the others but separated and with their own heat lamp until they are a bit bigger. Would that be ok?

First of all the coop your moving the 3 week old ones into are they female? and also do you have adult roo's because if you do and he does his thing it can be very dangerous and actually kill your girls i wouldn't recommended putting them in with the others untill your girls are at least 17 weeks old honestly its up to you but good advice and i think as far as the one week versus the 3 week its okay but keep them apart through a wire or something so they can see each other but not get at each other until they are used to seeing the other ones.

the coop is newly built with no current occupants and very large so space isnt an issue. its 9x22'. Probaby have some roos as the hatchery sent the little packing peanuts with for heat. I am just starting up again with chickens. Used to raise them when I was a kid, now 39. Forgot alot of info in all those years.

So the ones moving to the coop are only 3 weeks old and a mix of brown egg layers and EE's and a few Cornish x's. All get along fine now. does that make a difference in introducing the 9, week and half old younger ones?

I think you could put them all in the coop, though I would separate the older & younger with some wire for a week or so then let them in together. I think that with a few days to get used to seeing each other they'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom