WHAT AN EMOTIONAL DAY AT THE SHELTER!

I understand why you wouldn't want to go a shelter. Most are just depressing jails of death. But, there those shelters like the one I work for that really try harder and it is so much better check it out www.irvineshelter.org
it's beautiful, the animals aren't euthanized due to time or space issues and we try to match the right pets to the right owners.There are good ones out there.

Quote:
I know there are "good" ones out there. Just not where I live. There have been a lot of controversy about the shelters where I live in the past couple years because of how they treat the animals and how they are kept. I will check out that website when I get in front of a real computer and not on my Blackberry. Thanks!

some areas just don't have good shelters. I guess I am lucky. You sound like a responsible animal lover, we love those types to volunteer at our shelter. hint hint....if only you were closer:(

My daughter heard from her friend and she is so happy! she had some other friends come over to her house to see the "new" chihuahua and they were actually all playing! The old guy has some spunk!!!!

What a great ending! I used to volunteer at our local shelter but got so frustrated with the politicing they were doing so I ended up leaving. Personally though I can say from experience that the best animals I've brought home were shelter/rescue animals.

Here are my babies...

Sami (the siamese looking one) was given to me by a friend that almost hit him with her car - he was deathly ill at only 4 weeks. Sasha is a shelter kitty - I got her the same day they brought her, her littermates and mother into the shelter. Sara is our German Shepherd rescue pup - and she just makes being a dog owner so EASY!! I love all of my babies to death!

16101_naughtykitties.jpg

16101_sara_baby.jpg

Quote:
Those are all so cute! All of my babies are rescues too...my old dog (story on pg.1 ), my other Catahoula from the pound, my little dog from a shelter (b/c someone kicked him and broke his leg and didn't want to fix it), and my cat who was dropped off at the vet's office where I worked w/ a 4-wk-old kitten and already pregnant again!
th.gif
I love every single one of them though!

Quote:
Oh my gosh! i am lovin' that big ol' shep of yours!!very pretty kitties too! You guys that rescue when you can are so awesome!! seriously!!!!!!!!

We have found all our pets via shelters/farms also. They make the greatest pets!
It was always a dream of mine to fill up my house with rescued animals. It's hard to look on petfinder because I want to bring them all home. Mainchick, I also prefer the older critters, they should be able to live out their last few years in comfort and love. When our kids are all old enough, I'd love to take in some seniors. I'll probably become known as the "old-dog lady"!
I'm hoping, when we get our farm, to work out something with the local shelter to adopt some of their cats that have "elimination" issues (we have a good shelter, but I know they don't try to rehome peeing cats.) Who cares where they go in a barn! Better than being put down, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom