What annoys you?

I disagree.

Buying an animal encourages more animals to be bred (because you'd be keeping them in business; breeding dogs ain't cheap), which will end up in a shelter at some point. Let alone the fact that you aren't "saving" an animal because it was never in danger (to be exact, it was never alive) before the breeder, which you encouraged, decided to breed more dogs.

However, I don't really care when someone buys from a breeder if they really want to. There is a difference between shelter dogs and breeder dogs and if someone wants to pick which one they get they should get the option to decide by themselves.

I agree with you. By buying a dog from a breeder you are encouraging the breeder to breed more dogs, some of which will end up in shelters. It's supply and demand. If there is no demand the breeders will stop supplying. I have a pedigree St Bernard. My husband wanted a big dog as a guard dog and i wanted a friendly dog who would be good with the kids. However, even though the father was a champion and we saw the mother with the pups and she looked like a nice dog, our dog is not good with strangers and has bitten the neighbor and my husband's uncle. She's great with the kids and with us but she takes a dislike to some people and i don't trust her to let her off lead in the park or anywhere where there are people about. I take her for walks out of the town, where i know there wont be other people. She also chases cats and barks at other dogs when she's on lead - but doesn't bother when she's off lead. I am never buying a pure bred dog again because it's not 100% that you are going to get the typical breed temperament you are after. I've re-homed strays and shelter dogs before and think that is a much better option. If you are looking for a particular breed you can ask round all the shelters to find the breed you want.

I'm not going to call anyone a murderer for buying a pure breed though, that is extreme. It's a matter of choice, and I'd rather re-home a dog in need.
The most important thing if you are buying a pure breed is to buy from a reputable breeder who only breeds good tempered, healthy dogs.

Back
Top Bottom