What are Black Australorp roosters like?

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
I have 3 4 week old BA roos. I bought them as straight run day olds..not a pullet in the bunch. We can't have roos, so I am finding new homes for them. We have found one friend of a friend with a farm who would like to add a couple of roos to his flock, but he only wants them if they are unlikely to be aggressive birds. So far they are pretty sweet. They have been handled daily.

I know it depends on the individual bird, but if you have BA roosters would you recommend them as a usually pretty friendly little guys?

Mine was not agressive to me.......but we only had him a few months .....and then something killed him
sad.png

I have had my BA going on a year now, he was given to me with his gals. so I guess he is going on 2 years old now, I have never had any problems with him, all the neighbors kids play around the free rangers and he is polite to them as well. Only good things to say about mine (knock on wood)

They are great! Very docile. I have never had one of mine attack me. More than one will fight each other. But, that's with all roosters. Very nice breed to have.

my BA roo is a doll, i dont handle them often but when i do hes gentle, i can mite dust him alone (and hes gotta be like 10 lbs) with ease, and he is the most attentive roo to his ladies
big_smile.png
i love him

Quote:
Your Welcome. I don't think you would be disappointed with the breed at all.

Here's a couple of mine: They are much older now, and much prettier and bigger. The girls are excellent layers too.

34583_rooster2.jpg

34583_hen1.jpg

Quote:
Your Welcome. I don't think you would be disappointed with the breed at all.

Here's a couple of mine: They are much older now, and much prettier and bigger. The girls are excellent layers too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34583_rooster2.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34583_hen1.jpg

Just curious.....Do the birds in those pics have yellow on the bottoms of their feet? They look soooo similar to my Jersey Black Giants, I just had to ask
hu.gif
wink.png

I have some BA's as well, but do you know any other ways to tell them apart, (JBG's and BA's), other than the bottom of the foot color thing?

Back
Top Bottom