1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are Black Australorp roosters like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinyLittleFarm, Apr 1, 2010.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have 3 4 week old BA roos. I bought them as straight run day olds..not a pullet in the bunch. We can't have roos, so I am finding new homes for them. We have found one friend of a friend with a farm who would like to add a couple of roos to his flock, but he only wants them if they are unlikely to be aggressive birds. So far they are pretty sweet. They have been handled daily.

I know it depends on the individual bird, but if you have BA roosters would you recommend them as a usually pretty friendly little guys?

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I asked this one once. The answer I got from the rooster owner was that he/she really liked the BA rooster.

3. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Mine was not agressive to me.......but we only had him a few months .....and then something killed him [​IMG]

4. Texasboy4ever

Texasboy4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Greenville,Marietta,SC
    I have never had one that was mean to me, the only time he made a fuss was when he thought I was messing with his girls

5. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    I have had my BA going on a year now, he was given to me with his gals. so I guess he is going on 2 years old now, I have never had any problems with him, all the neighbors kids play around the free rangers and he is polite to them as well. Only good things to say about mine (knock on wood)

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They are great! Very docile. I have never had one of mine attack me. More than one will fight each other. But, that's with all roosters. Very nice breed to have.

7. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Excellent! Thanks for the replies.[​IMG]

8. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    my BA roo is a doll, i dont handle them often but when i do hes gentle, i can mite dust him alone (and hes gotta be like 10 lbs) with ease, and he is the most attentive roo to his ladies [​IMG] i love him

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Your Welcome. I don't think you would be disappointed with the breed at all.

Here's a couple of mine: They are much older now, and much prettier and bigger. The girls are excellent layers too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:Your Welcome. I don't think you would be disappointed with the breed at all.

Here's a couple of mine: They are much older now, and much prettier and bigger. The girls are excellent layers too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34583_rooster2.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34583_hen1.jpg

Just curious.....Do the birds in those pics have yellow on the bottoms of their feet? They look soooo similar to my Jersey Black Giants, I just had to ask [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I have some BA's as well, but do you know any other ways to tell them apart, (JBG's and BA's), other than the bottom of the foot color thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by