what are good treats for chickens?

In all honesty I don't know of a cheep snack.I give them my table scraps which consists of alot of different things.I have 9 chickens and I give them a few handfuls of raw oat meal.I also give them a few handfuls of boss (black oil sunflower seeds)If I give them both I cut back on the amount of each.I also at times get a bag of cracked corn or shelled corn and spread that out some.I don't feed the corn in the summer because it produces body heat and they don't need that.There are alot of things you can feed them.You may have to shop around and get a varity of things at different times.
big_smile.png
tongue.png
roll.png

Whatever is cheap. They love tomato peels left over from canning, handfuls of oats, watermelon, grapes. We have a bag of scratch that I throw a few handfuls in their pen before roost time occasionally.

You can go to 'the learning center' on this site, click on 'feeding chickens' then click 'treat chart'. There is a bunch of stuff listed. Mine are too young for treats but I'll be ready when they are!

Don't know how you feel about dumpster diving or you could contact a local produce stand. Mine love apples cantaloupe watermelon tomatoes squash a little old bread... A lot of produce suppliers will give you their stock that is not good enough for sale! Bonus freebies rock!!!!

I got with my local grocer and pick up a banana box full of unsellable produce every week. There's always a wide variety of goodies that my 9 chickens love. When more of my girls start laying he will get some free eggs from time to time. When I raised hogs, I did the same thing, just a much larger scale. You'll find they are more than happy to oblige.

Last edited:
Hmm, you could get a bag of scratch. It has a mixture of things chickens like and are also good for them. Mine usually just enjoy veggie so u could grow some of your own. My chickens just adore fruit like mango, strawberries and cherries. I love them too!
tongue.png

Grow a garden!! I'm putting in my fall garden now they like greens, kale, spinach, and even the dreaded weeds. Its great having veggies for them in the winter.

I only have twelve chickens, seven weeks old. But they LOVE a few handfuls of cooked rice.

Back
Top Bottom