What are some good treats to give to my Chickens????

Apples are also a good treat. I put a couple apples in their pen and it seems to keep them from getting bored also. Its like they're playing football with them sometimes. One would grab it the others would try to get it and so on.

Mealworms, pumpkin (seeds and all), salad, pineapple, pomegranate, the occasional leftover chunk of cornbread, beans, leftover spaghetti, mac & cheese, sunflower seeds, etc.

Mine like the rare tuft of dog fur but that's only because my dachshund has yet to learn NOT to try to sit on the run fence. Not sure who exactly I feel sorry for when this happens, the dog for having his tail pulled or the chickens for thinking they found a big juicy worm and winding up with just a few strands of hair
lau.gif

Quote:
We always have a bowl on our counter for apple cores, etc. The chickens loooooove them! And mine really love cheese grits when I have some left over. Also, when my bread gets stale, I hold on to it until I have sour milk or buttermilk that needs to be tossed and I soak the bread with the milk. They love that too and its a great calcium supplement!

Every morning I make up rice, canned corn, sometimes scrambled eggs, BOSS and bread, vegetables and fruit when I have it. I know they eat this but I don't know what else they eat.

I have a bag of cracked corn and a bag of the food you feed chicks. I fill the food thingings and THEY DON'T TOUCH IT!!! Well, maybe a few pecks at the cracked corn. What should I be getting for them? Isn't there some special chicken food?

They free range during the day but I live in Mass and the frost has killed off most of the bugs. My chickens are less than 6 mos old and they look and act healthy.

How do I know if I am inadvertely starving them??

Quote:
But use whole chunk cheese that you shred yourself. The prepackaged shredded cheese is coated with natamycin. That might cause reeeeaaaaalllyyy stinky runny poops when it disrupts their normal bacterial flora. Besides, you'll pay 4 times the cost of shredding it yourself. I think part of the fun karma of keeping chickens is people try to spend very little while doing an excellent job of it.

My girls love everything, all types of fruit, the get the peels, cores and seeds, bread, oatmeal, yogurt, veggies(except avocado, onion, and garlic), leftovers that we are tired of eating, eggshells, mealworms, all types of seeds, raisins, oh no potatoes!

Back
Top Bottom