What are the chances of a lost hen returning?

Skylexa

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
Today I didn't do hardly anything with the chickens since I had done all the chores yesterday. All I did was take in the eggs and made sure they had food/water.
Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to how many chickens were actually out there.

When I went out to shut them in the coop after dark, I noticed only 6 chickens instead of 7. One of the Barred Rock hens were missing.
I looked all around their area. On roosting bars, inside the coop, outside the coop, in the run... nowhere to be seen.
She could literally be anywhere in the neighborhood depending on when she got out.
It was so hot today...not to mention all the predators and pets around here. Hopefully she wandered away from the civilized sections and found a nice tree to roost in.

I know the odds are already very slim that she'll survive the night, but what do you guys think? Any stories about y'all's hens that have come back just to offer me a bit of hope?
Please pray for her if you're religious. If she dies we'll be down to only four chickens by Tuesday since we're getting rid of the roosters.
Man this is definitely not what I needed.

When your outside, rattle food in a can and call her. Chick, chick hear chick chick. Or whatever your general call is. Rattle that can of food. Walk close to trees, shrubs ect anywhere she could be hiding. Asks your neighbors ect.
I will pray shes just scared and hiding.
You can also play chicken clucking on your phone while your out looking for her.
Prayers and fingers n toes are crossed.

If your neighborhood has a Facebook page or a nextdoor page, try posting on that. It is possible she just found a good spot with a neighbor. My barred rock went broody this year and I was positive that she was taken by a predator. She didn't respond to my call or treats and I only located her by sheer accident as she had picked a spot at the base of a stump where I had piled up blackberry canes. She was completed invisible unless you laid on your belly and stuck your arms into the prickles! I'll pray that yours just found an equally elusive spot and you are pleasantly surprised in a few weeks with a dozen babies when she marches them back. :hugs

If your neighborhood has a Facebook page or a nextdoor page, try posting on that. It is possible she just found a good spot with a neighbor. My barred rock went broody this year and I was positive that she was taken by a predator. She didn't respond to my call or treats and I only located her by sheer accident as she had picked a spot at the base of a stump where I had piled up blackberry canes. She was completed invisible unless you laid on your belly and stuck your arms into the prickles! I'll pray that yours just found an equally elusive spot and you are pleasantly surprised in a few weeks with a dozen babies when she marches them back. :hugs
I Love Your story.
Esp. When she comes marching back with her babies.

So...I got up at 5:30am and went outside.
I looked around. No sign of her still.

My father soon came outside and was walking around the yard when he noticed a hen on top of the roofed run.
Believe it or not, it was the dang chicken that "got lost" the night before.

We searched and worried so much last night...only to find out she never left the yard to begin with🤦‍♀️

Also, I figured out it was Hoppy.
This makes perfect sense, considering she's slept outside the coop before and how she's always had a knack for flying.

I feel so stupid for passing by her so many times while searching😂
Even when it was morning time I still overlooked her...

I'm so glad it all worked out in the end.
I guess I'll have to go out there before dark from now on to ensure she gets INSIDE the roofed run instead of on it haha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom