What are these tail feathers called? *Pic included*

juliaaa

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Syracuse, New York
I noticed that one of our chickens has developed 2 "extra" tail feathers. I'm wondering what they are called (if anything) and does this mean that isn't a she anymore? They haven't started laying yet but it also hasn't crowed at all.

Thanks!
smile.png

The chicken in question is the white one with its butt in the air. Best shot I could get as it is raining outside right now.

IMG00877-20110806-1235.jpg

I would need a better picture, but yes--those look like rooster-ey tail feathers.

I have adopted a chicken with a similar type tail. She was attacked previously by a dog so I thought maybe she was missing feather but now I am begining to wonder if she is really a he! Mine is an Easter Egger. I will add a picture of her.

They are the main sickle feathers, they just longer than the rest, because they others haven't finished growing out yet. It is an easter egger pullet.

So she is still a she? We were told when we got the 6 that they were EE pullets. None have layed yet. But, now I know what those feathers are called and can search them myself next time. I just love learning about chickens!!!

Back
Top Bottom