What are these???

Jen333

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
We just got 6 new ducklings from our local feed store
big_smile.png
. They are straight run. The little information paper he gave me stated "metzler farms" on it so I assume they originally came from them. Feed store said they are "propabily" 2 khaki campbells, 2 rouens, 1 blue swedish, 1 muscovy. It doesn't look like metzler farms sells muscovys online, but maybe they didn't all come from them?
hmm.png
So I guess I'm asking if anyone can confirm if this is what they are? We are happy to have them either way but just want to know what they are. Any way to tell M/F with out vent sexing (I don't want to hurt them, because I haven't done it before)? Thanks for any help!

73714_102_1052.jpg
73714_102_1054.jpg

the 2 gray that are standing upright are blue Runners (im possitive), you have 1 black Swedish, the yellowish 1 could be a Welsh Harlequin and they 2 with sripes on their eyes could be Rouen, if not then they are Mallards.

I'm not an expert, but I say you have six adorable ducklings. I think they're pretty close to what the store said, but not sure about the two that might be runners or khakis (both stand straight up when ducklings, I've noticed). I don't think I see any muscovy in there, that yellow one, possibly, if I could see him closer up. More likely, he's what Gofasterstripe said and is a WH.

ETA: The Swedish looks black, not blue to me.

Last edited:
The two all brown ones must be the campbells. I just had a batch of those hatch and they look just like mine. The other two with the stripes are rouens, you are right about those, as well as the swedish one with the white bib. As for the yellowish one, I'm going to guess and say a welsh harlequin. He looks like mine, but a lot of them kind of look the same at that age, so it's really hard to tell.
Good luck, it's always fun to watch them grow and change colors!

Quote:
Hi Jen333,

Adorable! What a bunch of cute little peepers you have there
smile.png

I agree with learycow. Based on what Metzer Farms sells: The brown ones are Khaki Campbells, the stripey faced babies are either Mallard or Rouen (you'll know if they get BIG if they're Rouen), and the white bibed baby is a swedish. That yellow one is not a muscovy, but it might be either a Welsh Harlequin or a Buff Orphington. If it's a Harlequin, then you've got a little drake there since they can be sight sexed for the first week or so... girls will have a pink bill and boys a brown one.

Good luck!

I think that one is a Welsh Harlequin! I got 2 from Metzer last year, they were my faves!!! As for sexing though, it could still be a girl. I had one with a funny bill I couldn't tell if it was pink or gray but they both darkened as they grew into GORGEOUS girls!
50300_duckies_117.jpg

50300_2010-11-22_135555.jpg
The dark headed/beaked one.
50300_2010-11-22_135829.jpg
The light headed/beaked one, this spring her coloring darkened more like the first one though. Nuptual colors, I think?

You have beautiful ducklings! I hope the sex ratio works for you!

Thank you everyone! I'm excited to have them and hoping for a few females (so they don't fight). It will be fun to watch them grow! They sound like a fun variety of breeds! Any suggestions on how and when to introduce them to my 3 month old cayuga ducks? They are very large but friendly (to us and the chickens they were raised with). Maralynn28, you do have some beautiful girls!!

I think the ones you are having problems guessing might be hybrid 300's....I have a few in my brooder and they look like that. So my guess is on the 300's

Back
Top Bottom