What are we? Lots of pics...

CatKai

Songster
10 Years
Jan 21, 2010
USA
Hi everyone.

Posted pics of these when they were younger for guesses on breeds. Wanted to post older pics of those still in question. Any guesses?

This one had pink legs with a black wash on the front when she was small - guesses on here were a Cuckoo Marans possibly a CM x Barred Rock. She's not laying yet so no help there... Single comb and now her legs are yellow with less of the black wash on them. She's always been very sweet and likes to sit in my lap.
47528_junebugchicken.jpg

47528_junebugchicken1.jpg

47528_junebugchicken3.jpg

47528_junebugchicken2.jpg

This next one was sold to me as a Leghorn, I was sure until last week she was a roo but she lays big light brown eggs
big_smile.png
47528_bigred1.jpg

47528_bigred2.jpg

This one looks like a more refined version of the one above. She's a little smaller and her comb was very small until last week, it's almost doubled in size. Her legs are the same color and thickness as the one above.
47528_smallerred.jpg

This one is just as wild as she can be, ill tempered with the others at times and anything smaller better be faster. Tiny little legs it's a real slender chicken. It's starting to go to the next boxes now and with this seems to be getting more aggressive with the other chickens.
47528_roadrunner1.jpg

These next 2 were sold to us as Barred Rocks, guesses on here were Dominique. As they grew, the combs began to look different 1 from the other. The one with the pointed comb lays small light brown eggs and the other small brown eggs.
47528_domx2notpointed.jpg

47528_domx1pointed.jpg

This is a new one I just got and wanted to get some more guesses on it. Has a slight gold wash on the front of the legs. When the other new ones get bigger I will post them as well
smile.png
47528_newgoldonlegs1.jpg

Thanks
smile.png

Kim

The older ones a friend of mine got me & the younger one I found myself, between 3 places they came from we found ads for specific breeds (not from hatcheries, just private breeders I guess). All of them claimed to be selling pure breeds and that they were pullets. In my 1st bunch, I returned 6 of 11 that were roos... The younger one I got with 2 others that the lady told me were Copper Marans - I knew they were not but liked them so i got them. They turned out to be Speckled Sussex. So far what we were told (by sellers) on breeds has not been right for the most part. Each of the 3 places claimed to be selling us "True Ameraucana" as well, all but 1 of those was an EE, that 1 might be too I guess. We didn't do our research before we got into the chickens... Happy with them all anyway, just like to have an idea on breeds. Most all that are laying now are producing small eggs which I didn't expect them to be so small. I would like to get a few more EE or Ameraucana but after the experiences I have had so far I am stumped. I have 3 other small ones I am waiting until they are older to post more pics of them. That lady had "True Ameraucana" advertised and when I got there, there was only 1 I knew for sure was an EE and it was not for sale... I am up to 16 now
cool.png

My current profile pic is the 1st red one above, it had white on it's head/neck when it was little, the other one had yellow on it's head/neck.

Thanks for the guesses
smile.png

Kim

Last edited:
The last one is a black star sex link, I have one that looked just like her, the red ones look like RIR but the black and white ones look like my barred rocks

Here's my guess:

Barred rock, hen
Rhode Island Red, hen
Rhode Island Red, hen
Brown Leghorn, rooster
2 Dominiques, both hens
Black Star, hen

An update on the chicken in the 1st and 8th picture down. 1st pictured has started laying and her egg is the darkest of my brown eggs. The 8th picture I think most guesses were a Brown Leghorn and there was a question on gender. She laid her 1st egg yesterday - our only white egg layer
smile.png

Thanks for all the guesses
smile.png

Kim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom