what are we?

eggs4three

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
san diego
This is our first time owning chickens I had been mean in to get some chicks for over a month so when I passed a feed store I figured I would stop in and see if yhey had anything available. And they did but now I dont know what breed they are. I was informed that they are female.

I have 4 chicks the last two photos the chicks look a little different but the first photo I have two that look like this red little one any help is greatly welcomed and appreciated

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
10 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
...However Red Stars/Red Sexlinks/Gold Stars/Gold Comets....whatever flavor they want to name them...are sex linked...the females are one color and the males another.

Your chicks look like typical Red Sexlink girls...but there are a few other chickens that have that color of chick which are not sex linked...the Buff Orpington not typically with that much red in the down.

Lady of McCamley

eggs4three

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
san diego
i guess we will have to wait and see lol i really hope i dont get a roo...i cant have them where i live and i also remember my moms crows all day and night lol

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
10 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
the lady at the store said that 2 were sex linked and two were not but that they all were female. thank you btw =)
The two non-sexlinked are your 2 Rhode Island Reds...Production Reds...the top photo.

Then the 2 below are Red Stars....whatever the name they put on the sign....they go by different names from different hatcheries...but a rose is a rose is a red sexlink. Those will definitely be girls.

The RIR's will very highly likely be girls as they will have been professionally vent sexed at the hatchery with a 90% success rate...meaning a possible 10% chance of getting a rooster.

You will know soon with the Production Reds/RIR's as the roosters get big combs that turn pink...usually with signs by 4 weeks of age, definitely by 6 weeks of age.

Enjoy your new chicks.
Lady of McCamley

eggs4three

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
san diego
yay okay great thank you! we just moved and finally have space and i finally got permission from dh lol to have chickens what is a good amount for a flock? is 4 fine or should i have more/ also should i get all the chicks at the same time or will the get along as i add?

Top Bottom