what are y'all saving from the wild to deal with coming crisis?

Pics
Well as for feeding my flocks(16 chickens,17 turkeys) Im working on free ranging a lot; the turkeys arent really doing it yet. The chickens have defeated the hawks by fighting them (!) so theyre safe-ish, but Im making a larger area safely covered for turkeys (24x75' run with chicken wire on top) and will be planting some things researched for them to supply forage as well as native grasses and...bugs...l Im going to encourage these nasties in there with rotting logs etc. Id suggest we all try to start setting aside patches of ground to start growing things we can feed them like comfrey which is high in protein n easy(?) to grow. if we intend to have meat also start getting types that like to make BABIES !!! Im fighting broody turkey and chicken hens for their eggs daily so could potentially hatch over 100 babies in a month if needed!! Thats a lot of FOOD!!

I've got a Comfrey patch established and will be adding more.
Once established, it can be harvested every three weeks.
It comes back every year. (Mine didn't even go dormant last winter)
All it requires is water and chicken manure to thrive.
So if the SHTF, I'll be able to sustain my flock and eat the roosters.
Of course, they'll be a lot of bandits attempting to steal your birds.

Bonus: I make new plants from root cuttings and they sell well.
It's also fabulous for making an ointment that is great for many skin ailments.

View attachment 1823339
SO great to hear this grows in our area!! Im just north of Gainesville and am ordering some to get started !! Do u use the non seeding ones or the regular?

Sad to say I will never be able to put this into application.... No running water here. At best I will be transferingt water from fish grow out tanks to Plant grow out tanks and back again.

deb

Don't understand. All you need is a pump to keep the water recirculating.

carcass picking: We discussed maggots on road kill but I forgot about the hens being omnivores. the chicks will go after anything red.
We’ll probably be eating the carcasses if there are any around. I thought about winter feeding in truly dire circumstances and decided the birds will eat whatever we are eating if we can find anything to eat. The layers will be the last to go.
Someone talked earlier about bone broth. That will help with foraged additions.
Have thought about all of this for some time and know we are not really prepared. Water is critical.

Not spring.... Creek or any flowing water.

here is a map of my land

perxpective.JPG

The boot shaped darkend area is my proposed turn out for my horse and goats.Yep my big ole girl can navigate bus sized rocks just fine....

The blue lines are property lines The yellow are easements... The horse corral has the white shelter the house has a blue roof Chicken and goat containment are white fence...

deb

Not spring.... Creek or any flowing water.

here is a map of my land

View attachment 1833464
The boot shaped darkend area is my proposed turn out for my horse and goats.Yep my big ole girl can navigate bus sized rocks just fine....

The blue lines are property lines The yellow are easements... The horse corral has the white shelter the house has a blue roof Chicken and goat containment are white fence...

deb

We own 36 acres of land near the Grand Canyon and the only way to get water is to purchase it and store it underground. There is also a little snow and rain but none of it is drinkable for people. You have to separately purchase drinking water. It just wouldn’t be feasible to have horses and us and dogs there. It’s a great place to camp though and it’s beyond beautiful.

No, it's not. It absorbs more IR, but it's concentration is miniscule in comparison to CO2 (CO2 is only 0.04% of the atmosphere; basically 4 molecules per 10,000 molecules of air; methane is less than 2 molecules per 1,000,000 molecules of air), and it doesn't last long.

Did not notice the edit before, sorry.

My language was loose in stating that methane was worse. I intended to convey was that it was, pound for pound, more potent. My memory about the degree of "worse" was wrong, also. I remembered eight times worse, but the authorities say much more, as in twenty-five or thirty times worse. Here are some places to read about that:

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature13164
“Methane (CH4) is an important greenhouse gas because it has 25 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide (CO2) by mass over a century1. Recent calculations suggest that atmospheric CH4 emissions have been responsible for approximately 20% of Earth’s warming since pre-industrial times2. <<< >>>

[W]e show that both the emission of CH4 and the ratio of CH4 to CO2 emissions increase markedly with seasonal increases in temperature. Our findings suggest that global warming may have a large impact on the relative contributions of CO2 and CH4 to total greenhouse gas emissions from aquatic ecosystems, terrestrial wetlands and rice paddies.”

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases
"Pound for pound, the comparative impact of CH4 is more than 25 times greater than CO2 over a 100-year period.1"

In addition, methane breaks down into carbon dioxide when loose in the atmosphere. So it is important to measure its effects while it is still in the methane state. It does not end up as being inert. It ends up being another greenhouse gas.
"[E]very molecule of methane that goes into the atmosphere remains there for 8 years until it is removed by oxidization into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O).” https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/education/info.../pdfs/CTA_the_methane_cycle.pdf

Back
Top Bottom