What are you baking now?

I am loving the nettle herb bread that I made. Here's the recipe I tweaked it a bit. Used one cup of nettles instead of the parsley. I added chives and also used wey instead of water. I also didn't brush with an egg before baking.

2 pkgs. yeast
2 c. warm water
6 eggs
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. rosemary
2/3 c. parsley
8 c. flour
1 egg for top

Dissolve yeast in water. Combine eggs, salt, oil, herbs and 3 cups flour. Add yeast and mix well. Add more flour to make dough and knead on floured board for 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl and cover. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours in warm place. Shape into two loaves on cookie sheet. Cover loosely and let rise for 45 minutes. Brush with egg and bake for 50 minutes at 375 degrees.

My annual batch of Hot Cross Buns.
droolin.gif
If you don't like the ones from the store, these are for you - soft and moist and stay that way for days. (although they never last for days here)
We'll probably go through two batches this year.

39800_img_2822.jpg

Recipe on my blog.

http://mountaingardengleanings.blogspot.com/2011/04/hot-cross-buns.html

Hi All!
frow.gif
Got a wild hair yesterday and spent some time in the kitchen.
tongue.png
Managed to make some homemade granola and started the cookie batter for chocolate snowballs, yeah I know they are a christmas cookie but they have been sounding really good lately.
big_smile.png
Today I will put the kiss in and get them baked, not promising there will be any left when the fam gets home this afternoon though.
lau.gif

Quote:
Once, when I was pregnant, I got a hankerin' for some glazed donut twists and decided to make them. Made about a dozen and ate them ALL before my family got home....and never told a soul.....

I'm baking a Lemon Cheesecake (the layer kind w/out any cream cheese). I'm waiting on the cake to cool before I start the icing. Can't wait to taste it
droolin.gif
On Saturday I baked an Egg Custard Pie & I hate to say it, but we finished it in an hour
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds interesting, care share your recipe?
caf.gif

It's pretty good & easy to make. This is the pie that we make when we need an easy dessert for a meal. The recipe that I have was my great grandmother's, then later my grandma's with a couple of extras that I added.

4 eggs
3/4 c granulated sugar
2 1/2 c scalded milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp+ nutmeg (1/4 tsp goes in the pie, & more nutmeg is later sprinkled on top of the pie, too)
Pinch of salt
Butter, to dot on the pie
Pie Shell

Mix eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, & nutmeg (1/4 tsp) until light & fluffy. Slowly add milk while stirring. Pour the mixture into a pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg & dot with butter. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes or until knife blade is clean. Pie will set when cool.

Whenever I make this pie it always takes longer to bake than the 25 mins that her recipe says, so I never go by that. It usually takes mine around 40 mins.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom