What are you canning now?

I have a ham hock from Christmas and plan on making 15-bean soup... only problem - my husband is away at school and it would be way too much for me to eat!  And then it dawned on me. I plan on heading to the NC State county cooperative today to see if I can check out a pressure canner and can some for later!  I'm hoping the office is open today - as I don't have my own pressure canner...

Great idea.

Just one word of caution . Pumkin puree is on a list to not do. I suspect bacause of the thick dense nature of the stuff. So I have always made sure my soups are rather watery for canning. My pea soup rivals any commercially canned pumpkin so I dont can it.

Others might need to chime in with a different experience or view.

Would be nice to have a few cans of pea soup available on cold n chilly days.

Great idea.

Just one word of caution . Pumkin puree is on a list to not do. I suspect bacause of the thick dense nature of the stuff. So I have always made sure my soups are rather watery for canning. My pea soup rivals any commercially canned pumpkin so I dont can it.

I found a 10-bean soup recipe in the Ball Blue book along side of the vegetable soup. My soup will almost be a combo of the two, so I think it will work. I was able to borrow a pressure canner for the weekend. I think this will be more soupy than the baked beans I canned earlier this year - also from the blue-book. I'm a new canner... I remember my instructor emphasizing NO SQUASH!

Anyway, soup is started on the stove - it may be a long night!

I want to so bean n bacon soup, it is my favorite. The kids enjoy it but Hubby doesn't, he likes baked beans but not bean soup. I will try to do a few of B&B maybe this next year and lots of tomato soup.

Great idea.

I usually freeze pumpkin puree. I read on the Ball forums that if you're gonna can pumpkin to do so in chunks. You can puree it when you need it.

It was delicious! Its been 10 years since I made it the last time... just pulled the cans out and am listening to the "pops" - finally I can go to bed!

@Arielle  how did the second attempt go?
When mine leaked it was also all around the rim.
It sounds like we had the same problem... what ever it was. I hope it resolved itself for you.

Checked over the gasket. Nothing obvious. So tried again. Same issue. Was able to reach proper psi for right length of time though. Will use new gasket tonight to compare.

Changed to new gasket. It is bigger and with effort it fits loosely. It also feels waxy and more pliable.

No leaks! Reached proper pressure very fast and control if level harder so let it work at 15 pi based on the jiggler weights. The pressure gauge read 14 . Just under actually.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom