What are you canning now?

pressure did reach the 11 piund range and held there with s reduction of the heat.... the canner leaked steam around the gasket the entire time. I did lightly oil the gasket. And uts only two yrs old n still pliable. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Mine did that once. I shut it all down, let it cool, took off the seal checked it out thoroughly and there were no cracks or tears.
I cleaned again re-oiled and put it back on and everything was fine.
I do not know why that happened, and it has not happened since.
My guess was that it pinched or kinked when I tightened the lid.
Maybe there was too much friction on the pot side and it stretched.
I just don't know.

I will reclean the gasket and reoil. Perhaps veg oil is not the best option....IDK. Oiling the gasket was an option in the instructions. Steam leaked not in just one location but along most of the rim. Odd. Will be canning again tonight ... will clean and check gasket again.

I love cookbooks, too. Always get at least one for Christmas or birthdays. This is my cookbook wall.....

It also serves as a place to house my chicken cookie jar collection.

I love cookbooks, too. Always get at least one for Christmas or birthdays. This is my cookbook wall.....

It also serves as a place to house my chicken cookie jar collection.

Now I have cookbook envy AND chicken cookie jar envy...what a great collection of both!

@Arielle how did the second attempt go?
When mine leaked it was also all around the rim.
It sounds like we had the same problem... what ever it was. I hope it resolved itself for you.

I have a ham hock from Christmas and plan on making 15-bean soup... only problem - my husband is away at school and it would be way too much for me to eat! And then it dawned on me. I plan on heading to the NC State county cooperative today to see if I can check out a pressure canner and can some for later! I'm hoping the office is open today - as I don't have my own pressure canner...

@Arielle  how did the second attempt go?
When mine leaked it was also all around the rim.
It sounds like we had the same problem... what ever it was. I hope it resolved itself for you.

Checked over the gasket. Nothing obvious. So tried again. Same issue. Was able to reach proper psi for right length of time though. Will use new gasket tonight to compare.

Read many canning sites yesterday.Answered somes questions--yeahhh. Briught up ithr questions. Like what is correct water level on jars just before closing the lid? And when is the water too high? And is the proportion of steam to water important?

Back
Top Bottom