What are you canning now?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Acre of Blessings, Aug 6, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I haven't canned anything lately...

... but I've been uncanning a lot of things I did all summer. Broke up the apple sauce for breakfast, it was so nice! [​IMG]

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I received a case of half-pint jars for Christmas from my brother, and I had a bunch of blackberries in the freezer.... plus I got a new food mill. My poultry instructor at school is my canning buddy, and she text me a photo of her new monster juicer she got and I mentioned it, so she wanted me to try it out. I did, and it worked great. So, I made 6 half-pints of blackberry jelly and its amazing. I've got to say, I think it is my favorite jelly. Its so simply but its delicious. Im going to make some this year from fresh berries.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:I find myself going back to the blackberry farm at least 6 times each season filling up MAD baskets. I think this year, I will plant my own blackberries.... my raspberries haven't produced so much yet to keep me happy!

4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Everything we cook like spaghetti sauce, chili, chicken noodle soup, stew or anything like that. We always make more than we need and eat on it for a day or two then can the rest. Then of course fresh veggies will be put up in the coming months!! Can't wait.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I find myself going back to the blackberry farm at least 6 times each season filling up MAD baskets. I think this year, I will plant my own blackberries.... my raspberries haven't produced so much yet to keep me happy!

My great-grandmother planted 4 huge rows when her and my great-grandpa bought the property, oh man, probably 70 years back. We're stilling picking blackberries from the same patch and they produce like crazy!

Our raspberries produce a few handfuls, but they're so scattered that I just dont bother with saving them. We eat them fresh.

6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:Beautiful! I canned cranberry sauce for the first time this holiday season - really enjoying it too.

My brother would just love your dilled veggies and cauliflower - pickled vegetables of any kind are right on the money for him.

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Quote:I KNOW! finally, the fruits of our labor! [​IMG]

It sure does make dinner easier in the winter... when i have time to cook... wait, maybe I should save it for summer when I am busy canning. [​IMG]

8. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I made some absolutely delicious BB beans yesterday...if we dont eat them all up I am going to can them tomorrow...guess I shoulda made MORE! Terri O

9. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Vanilla Orange Jelly..... [​IMG]

10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:That sounds good and I have a lot of oranges. Would you share the recipe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by