What are you canning now?

6 pints of pear sauce in the canner right now. I actually like it! I generally don't like pears. I just added cinnamon, no sugar needed. I've got another 30 pears to do something with. Thinking about checking out pear butter recipes. I see there's a link to vfem's recipe. I'll have to check that out.

Do alot of people like pear butter? I was thinking of making half pints for Christmas gifts.

Quote:
Thats what Im doing..Been canning all Fall..Everyone is getting an assortment of things I made:) I made 4 pints of just canned pears in cinnamon syrup last night to finish off the pears I had leftover:)

I'd like to "freezer can" some apple pie filling next week.. (by freezer canning, i mean, i put the stuff in freezer safe jars, and store in my freezer, because i dont know how to safely can yet)...
But i'm not sure how to go about it.
First question:1) Would i just peel and core and chunk the apples add spices and cook them somewhat in a crockpot..(i'd like the apples to still be a little bit firm when i can them)
2) Will they survive going into the freezer? Especially if i'd like to keep them still a bit firm(for cooking in the pies later on)
3) Would you toss the apples ina bit of lemon juice before putting in the crock pot? (so they wont turn brown)
As you can see, i need help here...
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats what Im doing..Been canning all Fall..Everyone is getting an assortment of things I made:) I made 4 pints of just canned pears in cinnamon syrup last night to finish off the pears I had leftover:)

OOH yum! Pears in in cinnamon...
If i did that, would the slices hold up for freezer canning? Or would they be a mushy mess??

Tomorrow, if I have time, I'm going to try to swing some fig/lavender jam. Someone saw some once, and asked me... and I thought... WHY NOT!?
big_smile.png

Yesterday, I canned 14 quarts of potatoes for french fries. Canned 3 quarts of kale soup today. And 2 pints of sausage and mushroom pasta sauce. Tomorrow, I'm canning stew meat and ragu bolognese. And green beans. I got me a new canner today... (So now I have two!)

Quote:

If i did that, would the slices hold up for freezer canning? Or would they be a mushy mess??

IDK
hu.gif
I'm a pathetic newbie!
hit.gif
I would think mushy mess?

My DH and I scored big on the "Hen of the Woods" wild mushrooms this fall. I've never seen sooo many of them this early! We are working on cleaning and pickling them. We also freeze a little bit but, if not used within 6wks or so they just don't keep in the freezer
sad.png

This weekend I'm hoping to catch a break from the farmstand and do my Applesauce!!! I have a huge apple crate filled with apples and pears. My DH and I are also entertaining making Hard Apple Cider. Never done it before so if anyone with experience can pipe in that would be awesome
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Not sure Redhen, but you could make it into a chunky pear sauce and add cinnamon (lots!) like I did. Mine are canned, but I don't see why you couldn't freeze it. I just cooked the pears/cinnamon down, mixing it with a whisk to make it chunky.

40 (med-large) or 50 (smaller)pears
1cup water
2 tsp lemon juice
cinnamon to taste
sugar to taste -- I didn't use any because it was pretty sweet.

Peel, core, and slice pears. Put in large pot. Add 1 cup water. Heat to boiling, stirring every now and again. Cover and boil for 20-30 minutes or until pears are soft. Remember to stir!! Add lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar (if desired). Cook pears down to desired consistency, stirring often. Leave pot uncovered while they cook down. Like I said, I used my whisk which broke them down nicely into a chunky sauce. You could use an immersion blender or food processor, too, for a finer sauce. Process sauce in a canner or you could cool and then freeze them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom