What are you canning now?

I made 5 pints of Spicy Pickled Brussel Sprouts and 7 pints of Dilly Beans. Today will be Bread and Butter Pickles and Cowboy Candy.After that a little break to make baked goodies for our MEGA Halloween party then all 20 gallon bags of various berries I've been freezing for the past two months. Im already tired thinking about it but I'm also excited about it too!!! I love canning !!!

Quote:
vfem has posted that sometimes it takes her apple jelly 2-3 weeks to set. I haven't tried it again yet - no apples for us this year.

I have made a caramel apple jam that takes a good two weeks to set, too. It's fine to eat after canning, but it definitely sets up more during those two weeks. I thought jelly was more notorious for taking a few weeks to set up than jams. Give it some time, krote, hopefully it will be the apple jelly you expected!

I am picking up a mixed bushel of Nothern Spy, Empire, and Cortland apples tomorrow. I am mostly making applesauce. I do want to do up some canned apple pie filling, too. Should I do a mix of them while doing the pie filling or just stick with one of the types of apples? I was thinking stick with one type for the pie filling. I was thinking Cortlands would be best. What do you all think? Advice, please! : )

Well I'm new to canning! And I'm so excited to start. We're going start with 24 quart jars of apple sauce for the kids this winter. And I really want to make 12 pints of jam. My mom bought be a pressure cooker/canner. We just bought jars and lids and a utensil set for preserving. Also DH bought me a guide to preserving. We still have more to buy before we start. At least the apples are free
smile.png

I've a question: can I pressure cook/can apple sauce and jam. In my guide it calls for a boiling water canner.
Here's the pressure cooker mom got me.
48894_img_20111004_094607.jpg

Can someone tell me if it has a weighted gauge? Don't laugh I'm soooo new! At least my DH canned growing up so he's as excited as me and knows a little more then I do! Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Duramaxgirl. Look on the bottom left of the pic on the box.Is it talking about weights? Yes..it is I believe. Happy canning

Quote:
Duramaxgirl. Look on the bottom left of the pic on the box.Is it talking about weights? Yes..it is I believe. Happy canning

Thanks! I'm google'n most my questions. But I still can't find out if I can pressure can apple sauce... I'll keep looking

Quote:
Yes, peel and core the pears and dice them. I used vfem's recipe here and it came out great!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7400228#p7400228

It did take a full 24 hours to cook down in the crockpot.

Hello! Just wanted to say thank you very much!!
I made it this weekend, and it IS delicious! (i just had it warm over vanilla ice cream!) Sooo good!
The only thing i did differently, was instead of using water when you first start cooking it, i used orange juice, and added pumpkin pie spice and fresh orange zest (when i added in the spices)
Anyways...my family really is enjoying it! Thanks!
smile.png

(can i freeze this?) I dont do regular canning YET..but i use the freezer canning jars...

Back
Top Bottom