What are you canning now?

Ok, I just want to complain! I have used up all my canning qts. and have been looking on Craigslist for some used one. Well might as well go buy new ones for what they want for used ones!!. Why is that ? is there some kind of shortage or what? I've seen jars cheap at yard sales when I didn't need them. At least if they are new you shouldn't have to worry about them falling apart. I don't think I've ever had the bottom of a new jar fall off as in used jars. Has any one else noticed the price of used jars being so high?

Quote:
YES!!!! I have a bad feeling next years prices are going to sky rocket because of how many new folks that are canning:( keep looking I have a friend who gets them for 3-4$ a case!! Off of CL

Question about pear butter:

I have some pears that I canned already.
Now I want to do some pear butter. They are still hard. Do I have to let them ripen more, or will cooking them soften them enough?

thanks

Quote:
YES!!!! I have a bad feeling next years prices are going to sky rocket because of how many new folks that are canning:( keep looking I have a friend who gets them for 3-4$ a case!! Off of CL

Yup......heard some economist talking on a radio talk show and more & more people than ever are canning this year......leading to shortage in canning products!!

Quote:
they need to ripen to a tad pliable when pressing in -not rock hard...

Ok. Great. They may be ready this weekend then. Thanks

The ones I jared up in the syrup seemed to soften after a few minutes of boiling, so hopefully those will be good. I did process them in a water
bath for 20 minutes.

Quote:
Maybe it needed to be cooked down more? I was hoping a more experianced canner would say for sure.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
hu.gif

I'd say that it probably needed to be cooked down a little more. If the jars sealed, don't worry about it. I think you would be able to thicken it up a tad once you opened the jar.

Thanks.
smile.png
The jars sealed fine, and we had some leftover that we just ate straight away and it seemed fine texture wise. As long as it isn't a safety issue, I'll be happy. One thing I found confusing with the recipe, is that it says to put in just enough water in the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking. As a newbie, How do I know how much that is without purposefully burning a batch? I used about 3/4 to 1 inch of water. Maybe it was too much? Still in the learning stages!

Back
Top Bottom