What are you canning now?

7 quarts of pinto beans --- been playing around with the amount of beans. This batch I did 1 cup of beans per quart.

My first batch I did 1-1/2 C beans per quart-- they were good. Thought I did the same the next time, but the tops of the jars didn't have any liquid covering the beans. This time I reduced the amount of beans down to 1C & all the beans covered nicely.

These taste much better than store bought beans, and allow me to grow together chili, soup & side dishes quickly. Plan on doing 1 or 2 more batches tomorrow. Then I am going to can some soups or chili I think.

Quote:
Are you canning dried pintos? Did you grow them?
I have canned october beans from my garden, and the tops
of my jars didn't have liquid either, but they were still yummy.

Quote:
Are you canning dried pintos? Did you grow them?
I have canned october beans from my garden, and the tops
of my jars didn't have liquid either, but they were still yummy.

These were dry store bought beans. With the drought garden produce was limited this yr. next yr I hope to can dry beans from my garden.

Quote:
I just follow the directions on the back of the bag, pour it into jars and do the water bath for ten minutes.
It is naturally high in pectin, and it is nice and acidic.
Easy and quick and wonderful.
Sometimes I will do some with apple, or blueberries. I was thinking about trying some with orange peel-marmalade-ish.

Quote:
I just follow the directions on the back of the bag, pour it into jars and do the water bath for ten minutes.
Sometimes I will do some with apple, or blueberries. I was thinking about trying some with orange peel-marmalade-ish.

I do orange juice as my liquid. My mom has a recipe using grand marnier that is really good too! I just cook em over medium with the juice and sugar til they pop!

ooh! excellent idea! Thanks. I bet I could use apple juice too.
Bycers are just so clever!
big_smile.png

Quote:

I do orange juice as my liquid. My mom has a recipe using grand marnier that is really good too! I just cook em over medium with the juice and sugar til they pop!

How much Grand marnier? Yummy, I'm going to have to try that.

I'm planning on canning some.

Quote:

How much Grand marnier? Yummy, I'm going to have to try that.

I'm planning on canning some.

She said just substitute it for the same amount of water listed on the package. Cranberries are always a favorite of mine with turkey and I do keep a few pints in the cupboard.

My bottles and labels for the vanilla extract came today! WHooohooooooooo!!!

Unfortunately, I bought some vanilla beans on Ebay... and well... I didn't notice until yesterday that they were shipped from FRANCE! So I don't have a good feeling they will be here very soon.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom