What are you canning now?

Okay, I am a water bath canning girl -- so far. I'd love to can some dried beans like kidney, black, and maybe pinto. Any of you can them? I know I'd need a pressure canner. My aunt has an American something or other brand. I was thinking of trying my hand at hers to see if I like pressure canning and do up some beans in the mean time.

We can pintos every year. I also can baked beans. Yes, you need a pressure canner but they're dead simple. Just soak beans overnight. Drain then cover with cold water by a couple of inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. Pack in jars and process pints for 1 hour 15 min or quarts 1 hour 30 mins. You can add salt to the jars before processing if you want. The beans won't be soft when you pack them in the jars but if you cook them longer they will be mushy after processing. We cook our pintos til they are soft and then process them and use them as refried beans in burritos and nachos dip.

I didn't think to do a sweet pickle relish!

Now I need a nummy recipe for that. I would think that is a great way to use up older not so pretty cukes?

By the way ..I LOVE that monkey butter (pinned it)...Tell the kids it's made out of monkeys for sure LOL ( Evil mommy laugh)

Has anyone tried canning homemade BBQ sauce? I make it all the time and want to make some for gifts this year but am not sure if it would just need a water bath or pressure canned?

According to the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.. It says to water bath pints for 20 minutes.
smile.png

If you use vinegar and sugar in your sauce, water canning is fine. Sorry I didn't see this before now or I would have answered sooner.
Yup, that is what is in the ball recipe, but I think some one else was asking about making it.

(I am totally paranoid about food safety-in horror this weekend I discovered a quart jar with a popping lid. I disposed of it and realized....I had put two lids on it and that is why the top one was popping...lol I couldn't figure out why it was popping and yet so well sealed)

Back
Top Bottom