What are you canning now?

Last night, I made 12 pints of plum and ginger jam with the fruit from the plum tree in the backyard. Chokecherry jelly is next.

Did wild grapes & crabapples last week, strawberry preserves today... But,, just wanted to ask: my Sure Jell warns me that all pectins are not equal and can't be used interchangeably. I understand the low sugar variety, but does that mean I can't sub for the Ball classic that my Blue Book asks for?

Oh WOW!
thumbsup.gif
... grape juice 2 years ago. Would they still be safe to drink? There is some crystalizing on the bottom of the jars but they have been kept in the cool basement. I still have about a dozen or so left.[/SIZE]
I was reading that the crystals form in the grape juice if you don't allow it to rest long enough after making the juice and before processing it. So if its just crystals, I'd say that shouldn't really be terrible .... But, the Ball book says one year, so I guess that is your call.
I just finished 12 half-pints of a sweet & sour sauce using this recipe http://www.sbcanning.com/2013/08/sweet-and-sour-sauce-im-never-buying.html I think it may need a little revision for my tastes, once I figure out what I think it;s missing, but it's pretty good. I've made sweet & sour sauce before, but didn't have a recipe for canning the stuff. It was my first time using sure gel & it worked out great.
I might have to try that one. I was looking at a green tomato recipe, anyone done those? Thanks for the input on the Sure Jell. This is my 1st year canning. :)

My mother did a lot of recipes with green tomatos-- hot and spicy green tiny tomatos; green tomatos and mustard like sauce. Funny I haven't thought of these for 30 years.

Has anyone ever made Salsa and added Peaches to it? I heard its really good but no one seems to ever have a recipe for it? Do you just follow a reg salsa recipe and add peaches?

Also Happy Chooks how did you make you jalapeno dill pickles? I think my other half would love them!

Put 10 cloves of garlic, a jalapeño sliced in half, a grape leaf (keeps them crispy)and 2 heads of dill in a jar. Add sliced pickling cucumbers. Mix and heat 1 gallon water, 1 quart vinegar, and 1 cup pickling salt and pour into hot jars. Put into a boiling water bath. Process just until it comes back to boiling and remove jars.

Let sit for 3 weeks before eating.

Last edited:
I was reading that the crystals form in the grape juice if you don't allow it to rest long enough after making the juice and before processing it. So if its just crystals, I'd say that shouldn't really be terrible .... But, the Ball book says one year, so I guess that is your call.
Thanks. I was doing some research on it too and I think maybe I will toss it.

Put 10 cloves of garlic, a jalapeño sliced in half, a grape leaf (keeps them crispy)and 2 heads of dill in a jar. Add sliced pickling cucumbers. Mix and heat 1 gallon water, 1 quart vinegar, and 1 cup pickling salt and pour into hot jars. Put into a boiling water bath. Process just until it comes back to boiling and remove jars.

Let sit for 3 weeks before eating.

Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom