What are you canning now?

Lol

Saturday I canned a batch of chili sauce and a batch of barbeque sauce. Went to my sister's on Sun/Mon, we processed some tomatoes into sauce. I've got to get a food mill---her's is wonderful!

So, also answered my kind of rhetorical question from a while ago, about how long the sliced cukes or zucchini chips could set in the salt water before you canned them...apparently from Friday afternoon to Monday night is just a tad too long.....I'd put them in my (gas) oven, so maybe the extra heat helped speed the spoilage process along. But they were filmy and a little slimy. I've rinsed and re-soaked and rinsed them, trying to get the salt out to feed them to the birds, but I may just feed them to the piggies instead. Oh well.

Did you ice them down when you salted? We always keep ice mixed with our salted cukes and they've set on the counter for two or three days a couple of times just fine. Glad to know I'm not the only person who sticks things in the oven for storage. Lol

Did 9 half-pints of Thai pepper jelly today. Used 1 cup finely chopped Thai peppers & 2 cups red bell peppers. This is for my customers who want a crazy HOT jelly. I refuse to even taste it. DH tried a tiny bit on a cracker with cream cheese and was drinking milk & eating ice cream for half an hour trying to calm the burn! I had brought 9 jars to the farmers market last Saturday and sold all 9 of them.

Did you ice them down when you salted? We always keep ice mixed with our salted cukes and they've set on the counter for two or three days a couple of times just fine. Glad to know I'm not the only person who sticks things in the oven for storage. Lol
I've never heard of icing them, I've always just used cold tap water and let them set. Then again, I usually get them processed the next day.

I've never heard of icing them, I've always just used cold tap water and let them set. Then again, I usually get them processed the next day. 

My husbands grandmother showed me to usse salt and ice and stir them a couple of times each day. It pulls the liquid out of them so they will get crunchy. I don't know whete she learned it. Maybe her grandmother who was German.

Back
Top Bottom