What are you canning now?

Very neat! Sadly I have to use a green house for cuc's and so they must go up to save space. I think ill mound the raised beds though, great idea. Can't wait for next growing season. :) only 9 months away!

I grew my cucumbers up a section of welded wire fence that my husband and son strung between two fence poles this year. They climbed beautifully! I was amazed. I grew a few different plants from seed- suyo long, Boston pickling, and straight eight. I can honestly say they all grew well. I like the fact that the suyo long do not become bitter. The straight eight and Boston pickling cucumbers became bitter when they got too big or too fat. I think there is more to it than that ( temperature changes, soil) but just noting my observations from this year. The suyo long cucumbers stayed sweet no matter what, although they grew into some funny shapes!

I got stem rot from over zealous use of blood meal and lost a lot of plants :(
Live and learn. Suyo long sound great! I will look for those. I really like Armenian even though there really a melon and not a true cucumber. Very tasty.

I grew some Boston pickling cucumbers that were a bush type, and I loved those because they gave me more garden space, but If I can grow them upright, I might miss fewer of them that hide under the leaves.
Those football sized cucumbers always surprise me. 'Where did you come from? How did I miss seeing you for the last seven pickings?"
Yes, I do talk to my cucumbers. I talk to all of them, even the weeds, but I am less pleasant to them.

Back
Top Bottom