What are you canning now?

I am busy with jellies and jams. Soon to be busy with apples and pears. I am looking for some Italian Blue plums. These are the freestone type and my mom always got some in late August/Sept. split them and put them in freezer containers to freeze for use later in plum crisp. Our grocery stores here in east central Nebraska no longer get them. Does anyone know a source for these?
Thanks.

I'm overwhelmed.  I have so many tomatoes to do and I picked a ton of peaches from my trees.  Pluots are ripe and I haven't had a spare second to go out and pick them.  I'm getting more and more buried by the day.

Oh, and I have zucchini bread that I need to make.

Sounds like August to me! Lol. I've been the same way and I have a bushel and a half of apples to process and a bushel of pears too. I brought in another shirt full of jalapenos this morning as well and the black eyed peas are ripening faster than I can shell them.

Quote:
My apples are starting to turn.
hide.gif

I'm overwhelmed. I have so many tomatoes to do and I picked a ton of peaches from my trees. Pluots are ripe and I haven't had a spare second to go out and pick them. I'm getting more and more buried by the day.

Oh, and I have zucchini bread that I need to make.
hugs.gif

I'm right there with you. When I planted this garden in the spring, I really didn't anticipate going back to work this soon. Working full time, plus the commute, is really cutting into my canning time! I had a little meltdown the other night about how much is just rotting out there because I don't have time to go pick it, let along process. I've just had to re-adjust my expectations.

Quote:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one, though I am sorry you are feeling this way too.

I don't work, but I have 1 child in high school and doing cross country and my youngest is in middle school. Juggling their schedules, family members having health issues, a broken washing machine for 3 weeks now (still have to wait until next Tuesday to get my new one), animal chores, fruit, garden, house cleaning, etc.......it all has me frazzled. You don't appreciate how long it takes to do laundry (and how many other things you can get done while it's running) until you don't have it.

I think I'm going to stay home all day tomorrow, no running errands and try to get a bunch of it done. I did manage to slice up a gallon of bell peppers today for the freezer. One step at a time..........

My husband and I just had this conversation this afternoon. I WANT to be able to do it ALL...but can't. My Dad passed away in January; his apple trees have apples on them, but my Mom is out of town, and I would have to drive two hours round trip plus picking time. I had wonderful intentions, planned on going and doing it, but it is just not practical. My overly emotional self argued with this but realized it is true.Our pear tree was overflowing this year. I still will have tomatoes, beans, and pumpkins to do yet. I home school, and school starts next week. Thank the Lord that God gave me a husband who is willing to help me deal with the reality of my limitations sometimes.

With the overflow of fruit (I have lugs and lugs of apples and even more on the tree) I have become very familiar with our local food bank who welcomes all fresh produce donations.... Sometimes you cannot can it all even if you managed to figure out the cloning thing.

I just picked 6 milk crates of pears with my Grandpa this morning as my laundry was going, have to drive across town to do laundry. My Dad is in town for a day, my son starts school tomorrow with his first day of kindergarten.
hit.gif
And we have a car show in Seattle Sunday so we are leaving butt-crack early Saturday morning since it is looking like a 7 hour drive with the kids. I have my crate of pears sitting on the back porch I have to do, along with sweet relish still. Plus I haven't packed a darn thing yet for the trip, so that has to get done. I think tomorrow is canning day, and Friday is packing and detail the car. Hoping I get paid Thursday so we can go to the zoo. Then to top it all off, my sister is coming to town next week, and I had a last minute schedule change with my weekday daycare kid, so I have her on a week I wasn't supposed to, and a wedding on Saturday and my weekend daycare child that weekend!!!!
he.gif
Luckily I can drop my weekend child off at Grandma's house an hour early and he can get picked up there.

I just picked 6 milk crates of pears with my Grandpa this morning as my laundry was going, have to drive across town to do laundry. My Dad is in town for a day, my son starts school tomorrow with his first day of kindergarten.:hit  And we have a car show in Seattle Sunday so we are leaving butt-crack early Saturday morning since it is looking like a 7 hour drive with the kids. I have my crate of pears sitting on the back porch I have to do, along with sweet relish still. Plus I haven't packed a darn thing yet for the trip, so that has to get done. I think tomorrow is canning day, and Friday is packing and detail the car. Hoping I get paid Thursday so we can go to the zoo. Then to top it all off, my sister is coming to town next week, and I had a last minute schedule change with my weekday daycare kid, so I have her on a week I wasn't supposed to, and a wedding on Saturday and my weekend daycare child that weekend!!!!:he   Luckily I can drop my weekend child off at Grandma's house an hour early and he can get picked up there.

When it rains, it pours! Or in this case....maybe a hurricane or typhoon would be more appropriate!

Back
Top Bottom