What are you canning now?

Made several batches of strawberry rhubarb jam when my sister visited last week. She doesn't can so we had fun doing something she doesn't normally do. I sent all but one jar with her to share with other family that live near her so had to make more a few days later. Don't ask me for the recipe, I used one with strawberry jello but changed it to use what I had on hand and to suit our tastes. Used less sugar and love the fresh sweet/tart taste. Yesterday, canned 21 pints of ham and 5 1/2 quarts of ham broth from some ham I got on sale. Getting into the swing for summer canning.

pie.. lol

I need to move where my garden will produce something worth canning -_- our weather is not nice to me...

Well it's not being nice to me here either. Rain , rain and more rain. and cold too.
idunno.gif
I keep hearing about global warming well it ain't warming here.

lol I will trade you some of that rain for my heat. We got 3 inches over the course of winter -_- average is 29 inches. And I have to hand water my garden every year. We range from 95-120 in the summer.. and no we do not live in a desert, we have oak trees, brush, grass, and creeks everywhere.... *sighs*

Well I'd prefer Alabama but God has me here. I think he's trying to drown me.
lau.gif

Saturday, I got a deal on a huge case of plums from a grower at the farmers market. Just completed 25 jars of plum jam. Followed the recipe she gave me: 5 cups mashed plums, 5 cups sugar, 1 box pectin. It came out fantastic!! Still have to make a sugar-free batch and I'm going to try a pepper/plum batch that has a little habanero pepper in it. My customers keep asking for fruit/pepper combinations, so I'll give that a try.

This week, I'm getting another big case of peaches from the same grower, so it'll be peach jam making later in the week.

Now, I just wish I could locate some mayhaws. Louisiana had a late freeze, followed a month later by terrible rainstorms that has almost wiped out the mayhaw growers. My regular supplier normally gets about 50,000 pounds from his orchard. This year, he said he'll be lucky to get 2,500. Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for the figs to come in. My own 2 trees are loaded with figs that should be ready in about a month. I'll get at least 100 jars from that.

Strawberry time here and their expensive. $5 a qt. I'm buying them in the store for $3 lb. I've weighed fruit and it usually about the same. Last year it was cheaper to buy them than to pick my own. Gas prices eating any savings.

Can't wait for Gooseberry time. Red currant too but may be able to get them from my SIL parents. Still have jelly from two years ago. So giving it away to replace with new.

It's not warm but it is rainy so nothing is doing anything here. 80's would be good.

Strawberry time here and their expensive.   $5 a qt.  I'm buying them in the store for $3 lb.   I've weighed fruit and it usually about the same.  Last year it was cheaper to buy them than to pick my own.  

I don't know what it is about strawberries this year, but the prices around New Orleans are also sky high compared to last year. I was paying as low as $6 a flat last year. This year, the cheapest I've found is $12. And this is straight from the growers. The grocery store prices are almost twice that - around $3 for one of those little baskets.

BTW, my sugar-free plum jam came out awesome!! My diabetic customers are going to love it!

Back
Top Bottom